cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unfortunate report on new Ram

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
From an earlier thread we ordered and got our brand new Ram 3500 6.4 on August 23. We were in the process of putting 500 miles on her so we could change the rear differential fluid to take her on our first trip. On September 5 she started idling very rough and the check engine light came on. My code reader indicated a misfire on cylinder 7. We took her in to have them look at it and perform whatever warranty work was necessary.
After having her for about 3 or 4 days they decided it was bad gas since the plugs in cylinder 7 were completely fouled so it is not a warranty item. Perfectly understandable. They emptied the 30 gallons that I just bought and cleaned out the tank. They said the gas looked terrible. It was purchased from Quik Trip so we got the form to fill out since their gas is guaranteed hoping for reimbursement. It still kept misfiring with their โ€œknown good gas.โ€ Emptied the tank and cleaned the fuel rails two more times. Still misfiring. Iโ€™m on the hook for about $700 now. After having the truck for two weeks and looking again at new โ€œknown good gasโ€ gas from a new container they concluded it was not the gas.
They now say it is an engine issue so itโ€™s back to warranty work and no charge to me. Their first thought was that it might be the camshaft with a bad #7 lobe. They pulled the cam out and all specs were good. They then looked at the cylinder head and valves. One of the valves had a nick in it and was slightly bent. They feel this is the issue. The team leader wants an entirely new cylinder head (and so do I but I would really prefer a whole new engine!) and not just new parts to rebuild it. I should hear back today to see what FCAโ€™s answer will be.
I had to cancel our first trip with her. We should have left this morning. Theyโ€™ve had her longer than we have and weโ€™re about to go pay sales tax on a truck we donโ€™t have. This is so disappointing.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired
119 REPLIES 119

soje
Explorer
Explorer
New car , new truck , new rv-it is all **** shoot.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Kinda glad I only drive Chevy-GMC's

Right on, they have a great diesel history. Well....they did get better after isuzu got involved. ๐Ÿ™‚

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda glad I only drive Chevy-GMC's
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Nope don't buy lotto tickets nor do I buy raffle tickets unless they are for a very good cause.

But since I have been buying Chrysler products I have only had one vehicle that even came close to the issues I had with my Fords. A Grand Voyager that had a vibration in the front that the dealer could not or would not find/fix. BTW I started buy Chrysler's long before I went to work for them.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
bsbeedub wrote:
Yes because nothing goes wrong with those brands. Letโ€™s make it a brand war. That was really a stupid thing to say.

Says a guy that owns a Ram. Neither Ram or the selling dealer did anything for a guy that spent his hard earned dollars on their product that failed with just 500 miles on it! JUNK!!!

Ram fixed the truck WTF do you want them to do? The OP was given suggestions like to look at the piston tops of the cylinders that had bent valves and I can guarantee the dealers tech checked it.

So when GM told me to pound sand when my brand new car kept flashing "COOLANT LOW" every time I shifted gears or let off the gas that's all good? We came to find out it had a cracked head right from the factory (or so I was told). The dealer jacked me around for four months adding coolant. They finally replaced the engine but not until my Dad talked to his plant manager who in turned called someone at GM Corporate.

Then we have the Ford pick up that I sued Ford over only to have it replaced with a truck that two days later the paint started peeling off the hood! Traded it in a week later for a Aerostar van that had to have the engine replaced and four AC compressors. Along with a Ranger that lost the oil pump drive gear at 200 miles. Yep fine vehicles right there.

Every manufacture makes lemons and that is why we have Lemon Laws.

Don

Gesus, I hope you don't spend money on lotto tickets! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
bsbeedub wrote:
Yes because nothing goes wrong with those brands. Letโ€™s make it a brand war. That was really a stupid thing to say.

Says a guy that owns a Ram. Neither Ram or the selling dealer did anything for a guy that spent his hard earned dollars on their product that failed with just 500 miles on it! JUNK!!!

Ram fixed the truck WTF do you want them to do? The OP was given suggestions like to look at the piston tops of the cylinders that had bent valves and I can guarantee the dealers tech checked it.

So when GM told me to pound sand when my brand new car kept flashing "COOLANT LOW" every time I shifted gears or let off the gas that's all good? We came to find out it had a cracked head right from the factory (or so I was told). The dealer jacked me around for four months adding coolant. They finally replaced the engine but not until my Dad talked to his plant manager who in turned called someone at GM Corporate.

Then we have the Ford pick up that I sued Ford over only to have it replaced with a truck that two days later the paint started peeling off the hood! Traded it in a week later for a Aerostar van that had to have the engine replaced and four AC compressors. Along with a Ranger that lost the oil pump drive gear at 200 miles. Yep fine vehicles right there.

Every manufacture makes lemons and that is why we have Lemon Laws.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
A head replacement is pretty advanced.... Not so much the actual head, but all of the little stuff that goes along with it. That is where they usually screw up.

My dealer constantly tells me that their diesel mechanic is one of the best in the country.... Yet I most always have to cleanup after him. Stupid stuff that should not happen. He basically doesn't pay attention or care enough to do things right. Probably just in a hurry to beat book and that means shortcuts.

The latest?
He had to remove my DEF tank for a repair. WHen I next filled it, the I found that the vent hose fitting was ripped off of the side of the fill tube. The dealer (Sands Chevrolet of Glendale) Offered me the parts at their supposed cost. 220.00 and they would do the labor. I found the exact GM AC Delco part for 85.00 and did it myself. Doing your own work behind a so called mechanic is an eye opener. It was obvious that he did not totally remove the tank as he should have. He let it hang from the fill/vent hoses while he replaced the tank heater assembly. That is what broke the fitting.
No way I was giving them more money to fix what they broke.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bsbeedub wrote:
The saga has ended but not to my liking. FCA refused to give me a new engine and a new cylinder head arrived at the dealer yesterday and the engine was reassembled today. We have our truck back so weโ€™ll see how the repair goes. Iโ€™m going to have to trust the mechanics who did the work.
I could have complained and refused the new head until the cows came home but, you know, I really needed my truck. Transportation and all. We donโ€™t have the extra money to hire a lawyer so we were really at FCAโ€™s mercy.
I appreciate all the suggestions and info and if there is another chapter to this story, Iโ€™ll let you know.

Keep in mind many mechanics are professional and competent. My son maintains many single engine aircraft for a living. There are well documented procedures and specifications covering engine repair. I would encourage showing some faith and be on a first name basis with the lead mechanic.

Good luck to you,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
bsbeedub wrote:

Even more stupid things. Youโ€™re putting on quite a show. The warranty fixed it, just like it was supposed to do. Ram sent the new part and the dealer fixed it. Seems to me both entities did what was expected. Not the way I would have chosen but fixed none the less.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
bsbeedub wrote:

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
bsbeedub wrote:

:B :B

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
^^^Yep.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was me when it came time for a new truck I would remember that dealer and not in a good way. They could have put you in a new one if they wanted.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op I bet the fix works. Failures happen on all makes. A head swap is fairly easy.

I would not be worried. I have done heads on at least 7 cars to inclued my current WS6 not to mention the Cam and lifters when I lost a lifter. That was 40,000 miles and 300 1/4 mile passes ago.
I sucks when it happens to you, I know, but it happens when you pump out so many engines.
Good luck and enjoy!
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.