cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wards does not like the Eco-Boost

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
This is not going to look good for the new F-150.

LINK
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
57 REPLIES 57

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Don my only attempt was to point out that these clowns (Wards) were wrong several times. The 6.0 debacle was the worst of the worst and made them the laughing stock of auto reporting. About the only thing they could have done worse is put the 5.7 diesel on the top 10 engine list of the day. LOL

Were they also wrong about the EB too? I have no idea?

BTW I personally take 0 stock on what any auto reporter says. Why? How the hell can anybody tell how good an auto is or it's longevity by driving it around for a day or two? It's laughable.

Only time can tell whether an engine is going to be a legend like the 5.9 Cummins or the 7.3 Ford, (international) or the LBZ GM.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Don,
The joke is your company's latest marketing campaign on your RAM Trucks web sight. What a shame it is to watch!

A TODO CON TODO RAM WTF... :M

As we all know the Ford video you're down playing was just highlights of a 6 series of the EcoBoost that Ford had the balz to respectably take it apart at an autoshow and made parts measurements for all to see, and was able to confirm the engine's still in new build speicification and the engine still made the same HP/Torque.

Just the usual US made automanufacturer hater...

OMG that's the only thing you can find to post about ram? Tory you really are a Troll dude! Ram sells trucks in Mexico so they make videos in spanish you clown. Do you think there aren't spanish Ford videos out there?

"Just the usual US made automanufacturer hater"
So now I'm a US made auto manufacturer hater? Keep posting Troy, because every time you do it shows how much of a Troll you are!

Hannibal wrote:
Who claimed a manufacturer's marketing video was gospel? I must have missed that one. Quote please?
OK sorry I didn't know you were posting a cartoon video LMAO.....my bad. However there marketing department should do a better job on their editing. Mistakes like the one I pointed out (there are three more can you find them?) really discredit their commercial err cartoon I'm sorry.

2112, I was referring to 6.0 link that Turtel N Peps posted in an attempt (maybe?) to discredit WardsAuto as a reputable authority in the Automotive Industry. That could not be further from the truth.

Sorry this thread ruffled so many feathers, funny part is even guys that don't drive an Ecoboost felt they needed to come too it's rescue LOL?

Don

Don,
Don't flatter yourself :R... The only reason I'm here is to call out trolls such as yourself.

A Todo... Con Todo... RAM (How do you like it now) :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Don,
The joke is your company's latest marketing campaign on your RAM Trucks web sight. What a shame it is to watch!

As we all know the Ford video you're down playing was just highlights of a 6 series of the EcoBoost that Ford had the balz to respectably take it apart at an autoshow and made parts measurements for all to see, and was able to confirm the engine's still in new build speicification and the engine still made the same HP/Torque.

OMG that's the only thing you can find to post about ram? Tory you really are a Troll dude! Ram sells trucks in Mexico so they make videos in spanish you clown. Do you think there aren't spanish Ford videos out there?

"Just the usual US made automanufacturer hater"
So now I'm a US made auto manufacturer hater? Keep posting Troy, because every time you do it shows how much of a Troll you are!

Hannibal wrote:
Who claimed a manufacturer's marketing video was gospel? I must have missed that one. Quote please?
OK sorry I didn't know you were posting a cartoon video LMAO.....my bad. However there marketing department should do a better job on their editing. Mistakes like the one I pointed out (there are three more can you find them?) really discredit their commercial err cartoon I'm sorry.

2112, I was referring to 6.0 link that Turtel N Peps posted in an attempt (maybe?) to discredit WardsAuto as a reputable authority in the Automotive Industry. That could not be further from the truth.

Sorry this thread ruffled so many feathers, funny part is even guys that don't drive an Ecoboost felt they needed to come too it's rescue LOL?

Don

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your regrets on the 4x4 are exactly why I will always have a 4x4 truck. It's always better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Twice in 2014, I needed 4x4. Without it, I would have gotten stuck one time, and not been able to back up hill on wet grass another time.

brulaz wrote:

My only regret is not getting a 4x4. The new heavier trailer gives me some problems on wet muddy ground.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

I actually OWN one of these things and I do get the advertised mpg figures with it... 🙂

Towing, I get 10-11 mpg and that's fine. The power is incredible
Mitch

I haven't read all 6 pages, but Mitch's experience is similar to mine. I can get 21-22 mpg at 55-60 mph on the highway, but I can also get 14 mpg leadfooting it around town. I've got 30K on mine, 7.5K of it towing. Overall average according to the computer is 15.1 mpg. That is about 2,000 gallons of fuel. Considering the 7.5K towing used about 750 gallons, 1,250 gallons covered the other 22,500 miles, or about 18 mpg average nontowing.

Put me in the well pleased column.:)
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Explorer II
Explorer II

... there are a few of us that are a little unhappy but as it has been pointed out my truck is new with just over 2000 miles on it. Also it seems diesels take a lot longer than gas engines to hit their top fuel mileage.

Don
So all the Ford vehicles Ward's used for these tests were all well broken-in examples? I must have missed that detail.

My guess is they ware all brand spanking new!
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, the origional design of the "EcoBoost" was never all out economy. In fact, the initial name given was "Twin Force". Then marketing dictated that in this day and age (When it was first implemented in the SHO) you must throw something green in there.

Compared to traditional turbo gasoline performance engines, such as a Subaru STi or Mitsubishi DSMs, it was indeed efficiency, due to DI and VVT.

Or put it this way, if you put the Subaru 2.5 305hp boxer engine into the F150, you'd be lucky to get 12 mpg daily driving - it only gets 17 mpg in a 3300 lbs sedan with good aerodynamics.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
2112 wrote:
Reminds me of someone posting only getting 20.2 mpg on their EcoDiesel this morning.
Now who was that? :B

Yep that was me, the truck has less than 2000 miles on it and like my 2004 Cummins is getting very poor fuel mileage new! But hopefully like my 04 Cummins it will improve with age. Unlike many others here, I don't have a problem posting my true mileage and no I'm not going to take a picture of my dash showing 30 MPG @ 65 MPH in the instant reading mode.

I posted 20.2 and that was the overall MPG I got on that tank. I don't drive this truck any different than my 2004 2500 CTD and it made 23 MPG for combined city/highway. I have yet to do a long (full tank) highway trip so I can not post any highway only mileage nor have a towed with it yet.

As far as Fords so called "torture test". That is a joke goto 4:26 it shows them hooking up to a log on the ground and then 4:36 the log magically jumps on top of another and is dragged off the top of it! Posting infomercials just makes your point worthless.

The only issue Wards has with the Ecoboost is the poor fuel mileage, they actually like the Ecoboost just not the as rated mileage Ford attaches to the vehicles it is put in.

Who is Wardsauto?
From the link: WardsAuto is a world-leading provider of automotive insights and analysis, having served the industry's information needs for more than 90 years. A Southfield, MI-based division of Penton, WardsAuto provides a forward-looking perspective on all aspects of the automotive business, from the tech center to the plant floor to the showroom. Its services include the premium WardsAuto.com resource and suite of customizable data reporting tools, the WardsAuto Interiors and WardsAuto Outlook Conferences, and digital newsletters and magazines. Subscribe to WardsAuto and attend its events by visiting http://www.wardsauto.com.

Don

Don,

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Wards is an independent organization, and overall is well respected in the automative industry. That said, they have made some mistakes, arguably like when they named the 6.0 PS to the Ten Best in 2003. Is their take on the EB another mistake? Time will tell.

When they pick "The Ten Best" of the year they are usually new engines or an engine that has be redesigned. So it is kinda hard to predict how it will be 2-5 years down the road.

Doesn't matter if it is Ford, or anyone else, when they put together a video it should never be looked at as objective, merely a marketing effort.

That was my point, posting a Manufacturer's marketing video and claiming it's the gospel is a bit far fetched IMO

And in regard to this article on the EB engines, it really isn't saying anything that hasn't been said by multiple news organizations. The EB is a very good engine, but the "Eco" portion is mostly hype.

The EB is NOT a solution for a dramatic increase in MPG, or improving a companys CAFE ratings.

Why do you think Ford was taken to task by the EPA for the dramatic fuel ratings disparity from what they claim and their customers get. The Ram EcoD seems to be hitting the EPA ratings Ram Trucks gave it for the most part, there are a few of us that are a little unhappy but as it has been pointed out my truck is new with just over 2000 miles on it. Also it seems diesels take a lot longer than gas engines to hit their top fuel mileage.

Don

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Winter Blend MPG is no different than the comparison between diesel and gasoline

One has more BTU's per volume measure than the other.

Ethanol has the lowest BTU per volume measure than both diesel and gasoline...so
of course will have lower MPG
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove an F150 EcoBoost, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with 3.55s on a highway trip. Under ideal conditions with no wind on mostly flat ground, I got 21 mpg over 300 miles.

Best quote I've seen from a reviewer was: "you can have Eco or Boost, but not both".
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
As far as Fords so called "torture test". That is a joke goto 4:26 it shows them hooking up to a log on the ground and then 4:36 the log magically jumps on top of another and is dragged off the top of it! Posting infomercials just makes your point worthless.

The only issue Wards has with the Ecoboost is the poor fuel mileage, they actually like the Ecoboost just not the as rated mileage Ford attaches to the vehicles it is put in.

Who is Wardsauto?
From the link: WardsAuto is a world-leading provider of automotive insights and analysis, having served the industry's information needs for more than 90 years. A Southfield, MI-based division of Penton, WardsAuto provides a forward-looking perspective on all aspects of the automotive business, from the tech center to the plant floor to the showroom. Its services include the premium WardsAuto.com resource and suite of customizable data reporting tools, the WardsAuto Interiors and WardsAuto Outlook Conferences, and digital newsletters and magazines. Subscribe to WardsAuto and attend its events by visiting http://www.wardsauto.com.

Don

So because Wards praises the Ecodiesel and 6.0PSD engines, they're the end all be all for pickup truck reviews yet when Ford does a "torture test" with their own Ecoboost engine for an entertaining infomercial, it must be fake?:h

Wards is an independent organization, and overall is well respected in the automative industry. That said, they have made some mistakes, arguably like when they named the 6.0 PS to the Ten Best in 2003. Is their take on the EB another mistake? Time will tell.

Doesn't matter if it is Ford, or anyone else, when they put together a video it should never be looked at as objective, merely a marketing effort.

And in regard to this article on the EB engines, it really isn't saying anything that hasn't been said by multiple news organizations. The EB is a very good engine, but the "Eco" portion is mostly hype.

The EB is NOT a solution for a dramatic increase in MPG, or improving a companys CAFE ratings.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
And for all you folks who have never met an EcoB owner who was happy with their mileage, well I guess you have met several now.

When I first got the EcoB in 2011, I was ecstatic that my mileage was better than Tacoma it replaced, given that it was so much more truck. And I'm still happy with it.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow