cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wee bit over weight

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Well I finally got around to weighing my camper. I have an Arctic Fox 811 and carry it on a 2012 F350 SRW. My GVWR is 11500 lbs.

I first weighed my truck with a full tank of gas and nothing else in it.

This past weekend I loaded up the camper with a weekends worth of gear, cloths, and other supplies. Filled the 50 gallon water tank full and loaded it on the truck with a full tank of diesel. I had one full 30lb LP tank and a second partially used up LP tank. Took it to the scales and got this back.

That would mean that my camper nearly filled to capacity is weighing in at 4620 pounds including tiedowns and turnbuckles. Add in another 400 or so pounds for myself, wife, and kids. So i'm running around 1600 lbs overweight.

The truck seemed to handle it relatively well. I still need to decide on getting airbags vs timbrens. Just running stable loads at this point.

Weight police thoughts?
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.
39 REPLIES 39

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Xpd77 wrote:
Yes, my current tires are rated at 3750 lbs per tire at 80psi. I will probably get new tires next spring. FYI I did offload about 1/3 of the water before hitting the road. I just wanted to see what it would be with the full tank. I didn't need that much water for the weekend.

You're 300lbs overweight on each tire. Not good.

Unless you have a 240 gallon fresh tank, 1/3 of your water isn't nearly enough to bring your rear axle weight back down to anywhere near the rear tire limits. You need to shed close to 600lbs.

You absolutely do not want to overload your tires, and you absolutely absolutely do not want to wait until next spring to do something about it.

Tire ratings are one thing nearly everyone here agrees on. It's impossible to argue when the rating is molded right into the sidewall of the tire. They're also responsible for most of your vehicle's control and stability. You can have most anything else in the suspension fail and still maintain control. When a tire shreds, you won't necessarily lose control but you won't necessarily maintain it either...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014 AF is 2873 pounds dry. So going over two tons might be easy, factoring in 400 pounds of water, two 30# propane tanks, goodies inside the TC and truck, and warm bodies in the seats.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Sounds about right. Never weighed my AF 860 but just calculating the amount of airbag pressure vs surface area to get the ride height back to stock I was coming in at 4k to 4500lbs for the loaded camper.
I've been running Toyo MTs on my Dodge. 3950lb load rating. Tread life is horrible but expected since I siped the tires as well (before buying the camper).
That said those tires held up well to a trip up the Alcan Hwy towing a size able trailer as well and many trips around AK with a lot of frost heaves and gravel/rocks.
Without going to 19.5s I'd get the Toyos again but not in a MT.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

R2D1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm actually surprised by the weight of the empty SB truck. My '12 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB CDT 4x4 full of fuel, torklift tie downs, tailgate in place, DW and I on board was 8400#. 5K front, 3400 rear. I weigh 200# of that.

What was the weight that AF had stamped on the camper?

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, my current tires are rated at 3750 lbs per tire at 80psi. I will probably get new tires next spring. FYI I did offload about 1/3 of the water before hitting the road. I just wanted to see what it would be with the full tank. I didn't need that much water for the weekend.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
SRW...I'd look at the tire weight rating in the back. 4030 per tire is a LOT.

That was my first thought. That has to overload just about any tire, other than 4500# 19.5"

Wait! Your 811 weighs over 4700#?????
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm not wrong the 811 AF & the Lance 881 are close to the same weight , empty . Ours loaded with us an ready on a trip comes in at 12220 # an we're hauling a16' cargo trailer...... but we have a Chevy if that makes a difference.
Happy traveling

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
SRW...I'd look at the tire weight rating in the back. 4030 per tire is a LOT.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribing to this topic... The weight of the two campers I'm looking at (2650 on the Lance versus 2873 on the AF), coupled with a F350 very similar to what the OP has looking at, with 11500 pounds capacity (4.3 axle ratio.)

I am assuming airbags go without saying as well as better tires.

Since I'm single, I'm guessing I'd have less stuff coming along than a full family, but I'd probably guess that wet, I'd have the same full water tank, two 30 pound bottles of propane, etc.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put a set of airbags and throw some weight to the front axle