cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution and max tongue weight

seansage
Explorer
Explorer
Let's say I have a travel trailer with a GVW of 4300 lbs and, due to certain options on the TT, my tongue weight is 700 lbs. That is 16.3% of the GVW on the tongue, above the recommeded maxumun of 15%. An extra 56 lbs on the tongue. Assuming that my TV can easily handle this tongue weight, with a WD system, is this configuration safe? I mean, will the WD system distribute the weight effectively so that the fact that I am over the 15% tongue weight will not matter? Or should I reduce the tongue weight to the 15% mark before hooking up the WD system? I realize these numbers and the differences may be small but I have not much room to play with and I want to make sure I am safe on the roads.
Thanks
-----
Sean
10 REPLIES 10

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
aamyotte wrote:
I'm glad that I don't have a toy hauler. That would be a pain to keep track of the tongue weight based on what I had in the rear.
Many of those have empty TW in the 2000# range!!
A friend of mine had to always carry his UTV to keep from overloading his hitch.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

aamyotte
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad that I don't have a toy hauler. That would be a pain to keep track of the tongue weight based on what I had in the rear.
Al
2011 Ford Expedition Max Limited
2006 Trail Cruiser TC23SB
Equalizer WDH

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Consider this. TTs TW can shift dramatically in the course of a trip. FW gets used and ends up in waste tanks, food gets eaten and ends up there too. Propane gets consumed and ends up in the air. And many other things can move around as well.

Very much so !!!

My fresh tank is behind the axles. When full, it takes 150 - 200 lbs off my tongue weight. As the fresh tank level goes down, tongue weight is going back up. My galley tank is far forward of the axles. It is adding tongue weight along with the fresh tank going down. An empty fresh tank and a full galley tank combined, will add 300 lbs to my tongue weight. My kitchen is up front, as the groceries are going away, they are taking off some of that 300 lbs.

Percentage wise, my tongue weight fluctuates between 12 and 16 percent.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
No issue here....move along...move along.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I had to fight tooth and nail to get 12% on my last TT. Think of yourself as lucky.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If the receiver can handle it I would view it as a plus. Be sure to size WD bars accordingly.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 25 gallon gas tank can vary up to 200 lbs. At 10 mpg you will lose 50 plus pounds in about 70 miles.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Better to be a little heavy than a little light. I don't think you'd have any problem at all.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
More TW is a good thing. The only reason for the 10-15 recommendation is that 10 is pretty much a minimum, and 15 will be the limits of many TVs or receivers. So long as they are within their limits, you are fine....

BUT... Consider this. TTs TW can shift dramatically in the course of a trip. FW gets used and ends up in waste tanks, food gets eaten and ends up there too. Propane gets consumed and ends up in the air. And many other things can move around as well.

MOST people will have a concern if they start out with a TW that barely hits the 10% mark, and then gets lighter. You may have the opposite concern.

MY TT is TW heavy, but with my TV it s not a problem, so I like it that way. YMMV.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless there is a mechanical / metal stress reason. I see no problem with the extra tongue weight.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers