cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight distribution recommendation

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Give me a recommendation on a good WDH. I have the equalizer E2 now and like the way it controls sway but have constant issues with brackets that mount on the frame always sliding around and then bending when I tighten them. I also know the 1000lb bars I have are too light for my tongue weight. I would like something that doesn't use the "bolt on bracket" that clamps to the tongue like the equalizer. Blue Ox sway pro looked good but now I am seeing issues in another thread on this forum. Ideas?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
21 REPLIES 21

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Equalizer has had good customer service and keep sending new brackets, but they simply can not be fastened to the frame tight enough to stop them from sliding.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro is available with either clamp on OR bolt on frame brackets ... if you're concerned about slippage the latter would prevent that entirely.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I will read the whole thread to see what was going on. I just really want to get rid of the clamp style brackets and upgrade to a heavier bar. Tom Raper RV told me when I bought the trailer that because the GVWR was 10000 lbs that the 1000lb bars were plenty. Well now that I have a better understanding 4 years later I realize that the tongue weight is well over the 1000lb bar size I currently have. Equalizer has had good customer service and keep sending new brackets, but they simply can not be fastened to the frame tight enough to stop them from sliding. Which again may be due to the tongue weight. I have no sway what so ever though, which is good
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Blue Ox sway pro looked good but now I am seeing issues in another thread on this forum.

No you're not ... read that thread in it's entirety and you'll realize that OP's problems had nothing to do with it being a Blue Ox Sway Pro but the fact it was installed improperly and was wearing incorrectly sized spring bars. Configured correctly, the Blue Ox Sway Pro is one of the best WD systems available.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and highly recommend it I have towed with it now over 5,000 miles with no sway.

I drive with one hand on the wheel and I drive about 62-63 MPH.

Most people you see complain about the sway pro do not have it installed correctly.

If installed correctly and you use the Power jack to raise it high enough you can snap the swing brackets up by hand.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what the difference is between E2 and E4 but I have the E4 for three years now and I've never had brackets move Bend or break.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I've had three different ones over the years...Equal-i-zer, Reece Dual Cam and now Blue Ox SwayPro.

By far my favorite is the Blue Ox. (1500 lb bars). Easiest by far to set up. Easiest to use - excellent weight distribution (they all did that) and excellent sway control.
What issues are you reading about?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I used an Equalizer on my TT for several years before my 5th wheel and never had any brackets move/bend. I had 1400lb bars and the TT was 35' and about 9500lbs.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker