cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Size Truck and Engine

macuser
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have NEVER owned an RV but are ready to pull the trigger. Nice thing is, we also don’t have a TV so we get to match our need. We are going to buy a Fifth Wheel with a dry weight between 6500-7500#. Tongue weight will be about 1400#. So, what is the smallest truck we can get WITHOUT putting any undue stress on the TV and having a SAFE pull and of course a SAFE STOP? We do plan on being in the mountains on occasion. Do not want a diesel. Have read about 2007 or newer Tundra 5.7 and Ram 1500 Hemi. We will not be buying new.
14 REPLIES 14

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
That puts you squarely into 3/4 ton trucks, maybe single rear wheel 1-ton for diesels.

Well, you are so right. But - ain't much sense going SRW when he can gear up for his next one, maybe a 36 footer, for a few dollars more and go DRW!

Now we've got to work with him on his no diesel attitude! :B
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Edit: Double post
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are very few half tons that can handle 1400 pounds of pin weight, 200 pounds of 5th wheel receiver, and occupants and cargo inside the cab and bed. Take a look at the tire and loading stickers on the driver's doors as you shop. You'll want at least 2000 pounds of payload, 2500 would be better. That puts you squarely into 3/4 ton trucks, maybe single rear wheel 1-ton for diesels.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

macuser
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Thanks to all of you for responding and so quickly. I had already convinced myself that I could do this with a half ton and I guess was hoping I would get confirmation of that and reassurance that I was on the right track.

So, you have convinced me; and more importantly, my wife. It is hard to argue with unanimous. 3/4 Ton it is. 1/2 Ton off the table. I like all the comments; braking, tongue weight, payload, tires, future needs, etc..... All make sense...

You probably saved our RV, Truck, My limbs, Wife's limbs and most importantly her cats.

White knuckles is not what I am looking for. DW has already informed me that (her) rv can't travel in the "fast lane"

Thanks again, so much....

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, it's unanimous. 3/4 ton minimum! I'm no expert, but I do have all kinds of trailers, from a thousand pounds to 9000, and tow with a half ton, 3/4 ton and dually, gas and 2 diesels. And live at very high altitude. You mentioned mountains. And stopping power. Good thinking. Don't blow it with a half ton. Hope you really enjoy whatever rig you end up getting. 🙂
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow poster on this forum and the Forest River Forum, has a section on his blog called "What Can I Tow". Has some good information in there.

Learn To RV: What Can I Tow?

Take some time to read that. Then, head on over to my blog at the bottom of the screen.

Good luck and happy camping!!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
With a 1400# pin weight, you'll be a lot more satisfied with a 3/4T. Heavier tires will be a lot safer. I'm only familiar with GM drive trains so in this line I'd look for a 6.0L gas with the six speed auto, standard 3.73 gear ratio and tow package. This will easily handle up to a 10,000 lb gross 5er.

I have the same engine and tranny with 4.10 gears in my dually. It's right at my max rating for my 13,500 gross 5er. It handles the load without any problems.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
As stated already, you'll get that "2footidis" syndrome that most all of us have had :B Buy the truck that will pull your next 5er.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
macuser wrote:
Wife and I have NEVER owned an RV but are ready to pull the trigger. Nice thing is, we also don’t have a TV so we get to match our need. We are going to buy a Fifth Wheel with a dry weight between 6500-7500#. Tongue weight will be about 1400#. So, what is the smallest truck we can get WITHOUT putting any undue stress on the TV and having a SAFE pull and of course a SAFE STOP? We do plan on being in the mountains on occasion. Do not want a diesel. Have read about 2007 or newer Tundra 5.7 and Ram 1500 Hemi. We will not be buying new.

Welcome to the forum

Good that you are asking before buying. Many buy first without knowing
the metrics and listen to the salesperson, who is only (generally)
interested in making a sale

Many who bought first before educating themselves too often end up
having to buy higher class TV or smaller trailer. The OEMs and sales folks
love this

First time pickup/SUV/etc owners generally only look at the lowest
class TV, as that is huge compared to their 'car' experiences. Also
confusing is that the bodies (sheetmetal you can see) between the
different classes of TV's look the same from the lowest class (half
ton) to the highest class (1 ton). The difference is underneath the
skin in the frame, drive train, suspension and many etc's

First, decide whether you believe in the OEM ratings/specifications/limits/etc

If not, then do whatever. If still under warranty, note that the OEM
may not provide warranty if they should find out if you went over their
ratings. Many lie and I consider that fraud

If yes, then read up and learn how the OEM's ratings/specifications/limits/etc
work. Many do not understand that in the acronyms (GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, etc)
all have an 'R' in them, which is 'ratings'

Some only come here looking for a 'you are good for it', 'have been
doing that for decades with no problems' or some such and they will
receive many, but note that the only person responsible for the setup
is the driver...not the advisers (would they provide funds to pay for
any over load issue based on their advice?) I do not normally say
'sure you can', nor 'no you can not', but provide the metrics for the
person asking to make up their own minds, as it is they that has to
live with the setup

Here is a diagram that shows how the OEM specifications/ratings/limits/etc
look like in graphical form. That it is a system and to take any one
ratings is out of context. That there is fine print in all OEM specifications/
ratings/limits/etc that modify those numbers

Why it is best to actually weigh your TV and trailer, fully loaded
axle by axle.

Since you do not, then either guess how much they will weigh fully
loaded or use their GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating...this applies
to the trailer too). That would be the limits for each, the TV and trailer

howmuchcanitow
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Moved from Forum Technical Support

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Times 2 the needs of a larger TV. When starting that camping bug, you will find that your first choice of a camper will change over the years, unless you are a di hard tent camper. So that first camper unit will probably grow in size, as your needs ofter increase in a few years. Thus starting with the heavier duty 3/4 ton truck might be your best choice.
When we started camping, we owned a Suburban, a great tow vehicle for our pop up camping years. But when we decided to move up the ladder to the fiver's, a truck was then needed. We chose a Ram Diesel, 3/4 ton HD series, and have not looked back for the last 15 years. Thus if considering a pop up or a TT, a 1/2 ton truck might be your choice, but thinking about a fiver, then chose the 3/4 ton series or larger, you will not regret that decision.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum..you are being wise - doing your research BEFORE you buy. (and use GVWR and pin weight/payload when figuring this all out. DON'T just use the towing rating)

Good advice above already...I will add this: Buy a truck for your next RV - there will be a next one and it will be bigger.

Good luck with your new adventure.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

I am not sure you are going about this correctly. Instead of looking for the smallest truck that will do the job, why not look at a truck that has some reserve capacity especially if you want to upgrade the fifth in the future? The first RV is always the 'training RV' in that you learn what you want in the next RV so it becomes a progression of RV's to get to that RV that you really want. And in most cases the RV's get bigger not smaller as the progression moves into the future. Purchase the truck for the RV you will want in the future, not the one you want now.

The RV dry weight is almost meaningless, even the fifth you are looking at will weigh somewhere around 8500-9000 ready for camping and the pin weight will be 1800 or more pounds. There are not a lot of half ton trucks that will be able to handle that payload plus all the rest of the stuff, people, dogs, firewood, etc that you will want to carry in the truck.

The cowboys of old said that you cannot have too much horse; good advice for RVers as well. Donn above in his post gave you some good guidelines.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off, welcome.
Second, you posted this question in Forum Technical Support. I have asked the moderator to move it for you.
Third, this question gets asked a lot. Have you searched the forums for information yet?
Basically FYI
1/2 ton trucks are not really suited for towing a fifth wheel,
3/4 ton truck are OK for fivers up to about 10,000 GVWR
1 ton SRW are good for fivers up to about 12,000 GVWR
Anything heavier and you need at least a 1 ton dually