cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Bearings

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 28 ft. TT and had the wheels bearings completely serviced in 2019. I have used the trailer only twice since then for 2 trips of 400 miles total.
I would like to make another trip of about equal mileage but my regular establishment has changed hands and only handles automobiles so will not work on a TT.
I conversed with the local RV dealer and he is booked up until late September. He advised that since there are only few miles since servicing to take the end caps off (these are E-Z Lube), shoot some grease in and call it good.
My understanding is that this is a no-no and especially since they have not been disassembled for 3 years. I know the recommendation is for 1 year but have had TT's for 20 years and never followed that time frame. I did the whole thing every 2 years and had no trouble. But they were not E-Z Lube.

Need advice!
54 REPLIES 54

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Heh Heh, you guys with the class 8 trucks and IROCZ's must surely understand that we are talking about normal people that drive regular cars and trucks - right? I agree that the front axle bearing loads could be higher in those vehicles but that is not what the discussion is about. Come on man, be realistic!:B
Barney
The point is they ALL use tapered oppossed bearings. In the case of the class 8. larger ones and in my IROCZ smaller ones that typical TTs. There are no extreme forces that are unique to TTs. In fact TT bearings actually live a pretty easy life.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BarneyS wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't get all the concern about repacking bearings. OP has 800 miles since serviced. How often do any of you repack the front bearings on your car or truck?
Its the same bearing set up.

Not the same ball game! The front bearings on a car or truck do not see any of the huge side loadings that double axle trailers put on their bearings when they turn or back into a campsite. If the trailer wheels turned like a cars, then the side loadings would not be there and the recommended service interval would likely be much longer than it is now.

I don't know about you but I don't corner nearly as hard with the trailer connected.

Backing into a site, it's maybe 50ft of low speed rolling. I doubt it's going to build up much heat and the forces are likely a lot lower than hard cornering in a car. I also typically pull forward a few feet to put a board under the low side, so any residual side loading gets relieved.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heh Heh, you guys with the class 8 trucks and IROCZ's must surely understand that we are talking about normal people that drive regular cars and trucks - right? I agree that the front axle bearing loads could be higher in those vehicles but that is not what the discussion is about. Come on man, be realistic!:B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I will be going to oil bath hubs at the next bearing service.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't get all the concern about repacking bearings. OP has 800 miles since serviced. How often do any of you repack the front bearings on your car or truck?

Not the same ball game! The front bearings on a car or truck do not see any of the huge side loadings that double axle trailers put on their bearings when they turn or back into a campsite. If the trailer wheels turned like a cars, then the side loadings would not be there and the recommended service interval would likely be much longer than it is now.
Really it is about the same. On our class 8 trucks and trailers we would check and service bearings at about 100K miles. True the bearings are bigger but so is the load. I'm not a rookie mechanic as you can tell from my profile and I do believe some folks take the bearing service a little to far.

Barney...You need to take a ride with me in my IROCZ, and then tell me the front wheel bearings do not see huge side forces. Our trailer tires have very little grip compared to the high performance tires on a performance car. And grip on the road surface is the limiting factor on the force the bearings will see.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Really it is about the same. On our class 8 trucks and trailers we would check and service bearings at about 100K miles. True the bearings are bigger but so is the load. I'm not a rookie mechanic as you can tell from my profile and I do believe some folks take the bearing service a little to far.

Sitting a lot where the grease can separate or overloading creating excessive heat are probably the more common issues with trailer bearings. I tend to not worry about bearings generally either.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Well, the experts have spoken. EZ lube is a gimmick.
Now let’s talk wdhs. Gimmick?

Sure,

I buy vehicles with excess cargo capacity to deal with not overloading the rear axle, not taking excess weight off the front axle which IS what WD hitches were originally designed for..

Vehicle manufacturers have also backed down on WD, they no longer recommend full weight "restoration" on the front axle any more. Instead they now recommend no more than 1/2 restoration..

Basically I don't buy into the idea a couple of metal bars magically make a F150 into a F250 or F350.. What happens when the WD has a breakdown and you are in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday evening when no RV supply stores are open?

1,100 lbs on my 2020 F250 hitch drops the rear less than a inch, front barely moves, maybe 1/4".. Not enough to be cause of concern.. Truck doesn't even flatten out (IE bed still rides higher). My 2020 has 3800 lbs of cargo capacity so even at 1,100 lbs hitch weight it isn't going to break in half without WD..

Yes, there IS life without WD.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, the experts have spoken. EZ lube is a gimmick.
Now let’s talk wdhs. Gimmick?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
My guess is the EZ lube believers also have the siphon pump that you put in the dipstick holder and suck out all the used oil so you do not have to drain the oil pan and also used the JC whitney toilet paper oil filter device.

I sure EZ lube believers also believe in these..

Fuel line magnets to increase their fuel mileage also.. :S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I do have a siphon pump. Very handy in different situations.
But you probably know it all and I’m sure you’d find fault with it.
Is there anything you actually do like?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is the EZ lube believers also have the siphon pump that you put in the dipstick holder and suck out all the used oil so you do not have to drain the oil pan and also used the JC whitney toilet paper oil filter device.