cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

language barrier

WESIII
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who frequent SOB winter destinations. Do you all speak Spanish as a second language? For those of you who cannot speak Spanish, do you find it difficult to communicate? Just wondering if
not speaking the language would make Mexico a bad choice for us?
Bill
31 REPLIES 31

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
I have visited Mexico a few times. Once in a resort city where you could almost always find someone who could help you out. All other times were in a small fishing village where almost no one spoke English. There, people were very nice and really appreciate you speaking their language. I had great times when the local kids would start teaching you and they took great pleasure in helping me. You will do fine but please do spend a little time learning Spanish as it is such a beautiful language. Most importantly, Mexican people are wonderful especially when they are treated with due respect. I love it down there.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Ah... the last thing I'm worried about is vos/vosotros. Mexicans don't use Vos. It will never be perfect, and Spanish of Mexico is different from Spain or South America. Helps fighting Alzheimer, yes.

All true. I don't think I would try using the vosotros form either although it was kind of fun. We were in Costa Rica for a few weeks this year and they only use the ustedeo and rarely the tuteo. That's actually easier as most students find the Usted form of you to be the easiest to conjugate.

Thanks Chris.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
John & Angela wrote:
Funny how small of a world it is. Angela and I are working an RV display at the IPE (interiour provincial exhibition and rodeo) here in Armstrong BC. A father and son from El Salvador doing summer work came by the booth and we had a pleasant 20 minute conversation in Spanish. It was my first conversation using the voseo form of you. It was a great experience and I realized once again how much there is still to learn. Not two hours later during the rodeo we ran into trabajadores (workers) from one of our favourite towns in Michoacan, Patzcuaro. It was loud but we still managed to talk about some of our favourite places in their state, this time in a little more familiar Spanish. It's all good. Don't let anyone tell you you can't learn Spanish or any other language later in life. I learned French as a middle aged adult, Spanish in my mid 40's and now at aged 51 am working on German. My Spanish isn't perfect but am comfortable in the language on any topic. Learning other languages keeps your mind strong and an open perspective on other cultures. Like anything else, stick with it and it'll come together.

John, you Spanish is excellent!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah... the last thing I'm worried about is vos/vosotros. Mexicans don't use Vos. It will never be perfect, and Spanish of Mexico is different from Spain or South America. Helps fighting Alzheimer, yes.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how small of a world it is. Angela and I are working an RV display at the IPE (interiour provincial exhibition and rodeo) here in Armstrong BC. A father and son from El Salvador doing summer work came by the booth and we had a pleasant 20 minute conversation in Spanish. It was my first conversation using the voseo form of you. It was a great experience and I realized once again how much there is still to learn. Not two hours later during the rodeo we ran into trabajadores (workers) from one of our favourite towns in Michoacan, Patzcuaro. It was loud but we still managed to talk about some of our favourite places in their state, this time in a little more familiar Spanish. It's all good. Don't let anyone tell you you can't learn Spanish or any other language later in life. I learned French as a middle aged adult, Spanish in my mid 40's and now at aged 51 am working on German. My Spanish isn't perfect but am comfortable in the language on any topic. Learning other languages keeps your mind strong and an open perspective on other cultures. Like anything else, stick with it and it'll come together.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill, most of the time you don't need to talk Spanish on a visitor's few months stay. But you will like it better if you can talk a little. Anything, from grocery shopping to minor repairs will go faster and more efficient. You will make fewer costly mistakes. Most Mexicans are polite and patient in your attempts to communicate, but it doesn't mean they like it and they might not have time. It's better to know at least some Spanish.

They will appreciate if you are trying to talk some, and it is not difficult and doesn't cost money to make this first step. You can download free Spanish dictionary in Android, it's called Xynotec - they have other languages as well. And you can learn how to build basic phrases like "I need ...", "where is...", and numbers. Polite phrases like "Excuse me" before saying that you need this or that, will help more than you can imagine. Their culture is very traditional, in some ways almost as formal as Victorian English society, despite low standards of life.

I don't know what would be the best way to learn - there is no easy way after you turn 40-45, and for some people it's more difficult than for others. But you may try. I like Standard Deviants DVD series, it should be available in your local library, the first 2 discs contain all the basics. Repetition is the key, at our age. Watch it again and again, write down the phrases and words - Spanish in one column and English in another, and repeat with Spanish column covered with a sheet of paper. Leaving legal aspects aside, let's say that it is possible to record the library DVD into your computer for further studies at home, people are doing this all the time. Or buy it, it doesn't cost that much.

Automated voice translators have never been good, the chances of getting it totally wrong are high. Xynotec dictionary has a voice option if you need to hear the word, though Spanish phonetics is straightforward - it will sound just like you see it.

Yes, what Mex said - "I have a question" - pregUnta, accent on U. Wouldn't also hurt to say Buenas dias (or buenas tardes, or buenas noches, whatever the time of the day is), before saying this. Then you may point on your map, or broken RV part, or empty water container, or whatever your problem is, and go on in your Ingles or sign language, or both.

Don't want to go into endless list of suggestions, but this is something related to langguage: unless it says $US or USD, or DLS, always assume that $ sign on the price tag means Pesos. If you are in doubt, ask "Este precio es dolares o pesos?"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the most unknown of the Spanish phrases to use when you are ready to ask a question is:

"TENGO PREGUNTA' (pronounce it like it is spelled)

This works like magic. Don't know exactly why but you Spanish speakers out there ought to try it. It seems to overcome a Mexican's natural doubt that you can speak Spanish and their brain gears engage. Strange but what the heck - it works.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Years ago My wife and I were on a cruise and she suffered a mild stroke and we were put off the ship in Peru where she went into the hospital. Very few people spoke English and those that did weren't around much. Very Very frustrating. So I made a decision to avoid places that don't speak English. Of course that means certain parts of the USA now.

Wow I'm so very happy I never made that decision.

Spent 6 months in Japan when I was only 20 thanks to the US Navy.
Loved the place and the people.

Married a Danish girl now we've been to:
Denmark, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Mexico and even Canada.

We have found English speakers everywhere plus many who did not speak English but did their best to be kind and helpful.

Wow I'm glad we did not miss those opportunities !!!!
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
My Spanish is pretty bad but I will attempt to write what I think is the most important phrase to learn "Lo siento, mi Espanol es malo, hable Ingles" what it means is "I'm sorry, my Spanish is bad, do you speak English?" This has always worked wonders for me. Mexicans realize you are trying to speak their language and showing some respect to them. I usually get a smile and often an answer that their English is bad as well but it's usually good enough to communicate. Don't make the mistake of many arrogant tourists that walk up to a Mexican and immediately start babbling in English assuming they understand it. I find this disrespectful and rude. Imagine someone walking up to you in your country and launching into Chinese or some language you know nothing about.

Mexicans in general are wonderful, generous and friendly people. I've met many that will go out of their way to help you find what you need. Show them the respect they deserve, learn as much Spanish as you can and they will surprise you how helpful they are. The people are one of the big reasons I love Mexico.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get in a basic Spanish course before you leave (community college, night school, etc), it will help with the basics and give you a head start on learning more as you go, such as basic pronunciation. RYV

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
We find the Mexican people to be most accommodating if you at least try to use a little Mexican Spanish. The phrases I learned in high school Spanish are of no use in Mexico. The Mexicans are an intelligent people and with a few words and some "Charades" you can get your message across. In the campgrounds, you will find that almost all the campers are from the USA or Canada and are always willing to help you out.

I took sick in Punta Perula on our first venture into Mexico. The campground host found a local woman who became our translator, guide, and friend. She got us to the hospital 35 miles away and facilitated everything.

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

maggybeck
Explorer
Explorer
Never let a lack of language skills restrict you. The world is too big and too interesting not to travel anywhere. Lack of local language leads to all sorts of kindly and interesting people you would never have met if you had not travelled. Life is too short already. We spend winters in Mexico and have been going there for many years. Still have no strong language skills but we still communicate well with everyone. Except maybe some Americans lol. (I am British and they sometimes have a hard time understanding me.)

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
For some, the world is a very small place.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
So I made a decision to avoid places that don't speak English.

That would lead to a very restricted RVing life for us.

No 3 months in Mexico, no 2 years in China (teaching, not RVing), no 3 months in Morocco, no 12 months in Europe, and no three months in Iceland, and even parts of Canada would be off-limits.

Must be a secret that most of the world actually has large proportions of the population that can hold at least a basic conversation in English - and even the rest are quite happy to engage in a bit of pantomime to get a message across.

I walked into a vehicle service garage today in a non-English speaking country and the bloke behind the counter was able to hold a fairly technical conversation in English without hesitation or error. I asked him how long ago it was that he last spoke English and he said back at high school - 15 years ago.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map