cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US 501 east of I81

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
We will be towing our 34' fiver with our diesel PU from near Staunton VA to the Lynchburg KOA (formerly Wildwood Campground). How is towing US 501 east from Buena Vista? Would you do it?

The DH grew up in Lynchburg and says 'no problem'. It is an extra 40 miles to go over I64 and down 29 (plus you have to go down Afton Mt). We travel 501 through Big Island to get down to Lynchburg/Forest, but not towing.

Thanks in advance.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW
4 REPLIES 4

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like 130 to 501. We have stayed at the KOA/Wildwood lots of times. Roy is correct about that turn -- but if you are in the area, it is easier to take the Parkway from 130 across the river to 501. We usually stay on the east side of the mountains or drive over without towing.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow it posted twice so I erased this one.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its been awhile since I have towed my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer on US501 East from Buena Vista... I do remember a couple of sharp curve areas and a bridge over the James River that was kinda tight to get on.

Don't think you will have any problems towing your 34-foot 5er trailer...

Maybe some others will dime in here on the curves and bridge...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Sent a reply to your PM.

I think from where you are at Verona I would go down I-81 to Natural Bridge and pick up 130 there. Go into NB and you will come up on it. It begins there. Follow it through the valley to Glasgow where it intersects with 501. 501 is OK from Buena Vista but you don't have to go through the town.

Once you intersect 501 you still have to go over Snowden Mountain as 130 and 501 are the same road at this point. It is not a terrible climb by any means so just take your time both up and down the other side and you will be fine. Once you are down the other side, 501 will branch off to the right to Big Island and 130 will continue on. You will only be a couple of miles from the campground.

I forgot to mention in the PM, but another, although slower alternative is to take I-64 to Afton and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and follow it down to it's intersection with 130. About 63 or so miles but nice if you have the time. Campground is just a mile or so from the parkway.