cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondock parking at Ocracoke

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the 27' MH with generator to Ocracoke for a night. We will probably get there on Thursday. Is there any place where I won't get in trouble if I park at night and run the generator? Looks like there are 2 campgrounds I can use in a pinch. The NPS has no hookups, which is fine, but has nightime genset restrictions, which might not be so fine.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
6 REPLIES 6

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up arriving early and leaving early. We were up at Nags Head looking for a boondock spot. No joy.

I've got to improve my suburban boondock skills. Saw a hospital. I thought that mey work. I saw an Advence auto parts in a perfect location. I let them both pass and booked a crummy campground on Roanoke island.

Now I'm at another crummy campground outside of Williamsburg. Honestly, I prefer Walmarts.
Jim & Sherri

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the Ferry schedule, the staging area for the mainland ferry downtown would be free from 9pm to 7am. I could then drive to the other end of the island and take the free ferry to Nags head. That might work. I'm sure I can find something else to do until 9.

Ideally, I would like to stay and the free ferry staging area out of the way someplace. I haven't been there for 30 years, so I can't remember what's there.
Jim & Sherri

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
When we took the ferry from Cedar Island to Okracoke a couple years ago, the fellow checking rigs for the ferry to Hatteras told me that since the next ferry was the last one of the day, we would be allowed to Wallydock in the ferry parking lot.

Yes, the ferry worker really used the he word Wallydock.

Lucky for us our 62 ft long rig made it onto the ferry. It is as March 29th and cold.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
That s what I was thinking initially.
Jim & Sherri