cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Christmas in South Carolina

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
My wife usually has plant shut down between Christmas and New Years.This year,we are thinking about heading to SC.Do the campgrounds get full during that time? We stayed at Willow Tree last October and would consider that again,but State parks would be ok too?Would reservations be necessary? What are the temps like that time of year? Got to be better than in PA.
12 REPLIES 12

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Temps here in December are in the mid-50's typically. Beginning of January last year we had 70's but that's not the norm. Often get daytime temps around 60 but with full sun and no wind it's really warm.

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from Huntington Beach SP near Myrtle Beach this past weekend. Judging from the billboards, they are gearing up for a good Christmas experience this year. We also noticed a large increase in tourists last week over the same week last year.

I've never stayed at Hunting Island or Edisto,,,, we simply fell in love with Huntington Beach and have found no reason to stray. What I can say is that every time we go we meet people who keep returning every year and say that Huntington Beach is their favorite SP on the coast,,,,,,,, just an FYI.

As a plus, they have just given the bathhouses a facelift,,,, looked really nice.

Note- I would make reservations well in advance.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I hit Myrtle Beach in early January after I retired. No RV at the time, so I had a really nice two room "apartment" in a hotel. But I intended to play some golf, and most of the courses were either closed or the greens were being aerated and had holes about every 4 inches. I don't need help being a bad putter. Several restaurants were closed as well. But all the swimsuit stores were open. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

craigt
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Henderson Beach State Park a couple of Christmas's ago and enjoyed it. South of Murrel's Inlet.

Weather was mild and the park was not crowded.

Good food in the area but a more laid-back atmosphere.
Craig & Susan
Roadside Dogs "Buddy", "Lily", & "Murphy"
F-150, Reese HD, Prodigy
Springdale 256 RLL

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that Willow Tree has the sites with the hot tubs on them. Picture this....

Sitting in the hot tub in the winter with a warm adult breverage with someone you care about looking at the lake.

Ok now you have made me want to go ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Christmases here can vary - I remember in 1981 the high was 77 degrees, in 1982 the high was 27 degrees (the 50 degree difference always sticks in my mind). In 1989 the high was 17, and a foot of snow on the ground. Normally it is about 55-65 for high, 35-45 for low.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
James Island has a terrific Christmas light show. We were there around Christmas the last 2 year. Highly recommended. Last winter went to Ocean Lakes at MB for Dec 27 to early Jan. Lots of room. Weather was a touch chilly that week.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet that Charleston, SC, would be a great place to visit during the Christmas Season. And the Campground at James Island County Park would be a great place to stay. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMOP. No more people than will be in the big 4 MB CGS. I'd try one of them. You would not only have full hookups, but indoor pools as well, and be on the beach.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park on the North end, is very nice, and near restaurant, row, and Barefoot landing.

OL, PL, and LW are in the South end, and near shopping, and many other attractions.

All have ocean front, or just beach sites, and like I say, full hookup. Going to a dump station, is not something I want to do. But staying in those CGs will put you near so many things. Plus the rates are very low in the winter.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willow Tree fills up quick...days around 60....nights can get around 30-35 degrees...much nicer than NY..

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntington Beach Sate Park and Myrtle Beach State Park have some full hookups, and I would definitely make reservations. Both are close to great seafood, golf, and things to do. Weather can get cold, but much better than PA.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent several Christmas to New Years' at Hunting Island SP. It's $30/night, right on the ocean, water/electric only, but has a couple of dump stations. Unless the weather is really cold, it is usually pretty full. Lots of locals come down for the holidays.

The weather can be iffy, but it is NORMALLY, 60s during the day, maybe a little warmer and then gets down in the mid 40's at night.

If you are in one of the spots in the back, it is usually warmer since you don't have the breeze directly off the ocean.

Yes, I would make a reservation. Sometimes, they close some of the loops.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW