cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gatlinberg, TN and Ashville, NC

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some good RV campgrounds in the above subject heading.
Thanking you for your assistance already!
21 REPLIES 21

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
Headed for Riverbend RV park near Gatlinburg to arrive with reservations in early August. Will arrive in the area too early and was looking for some different inexpensive places to stay to kill time.
Thanks to all for your great recommendations!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
River Bend in Pigeon Forge. Going there for the 3rd time next week. I have driven through some of the others in the area but this one is clean and close to every thing. Real quiet & I like it.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Asheville I would stay at Mama Gerties. Get the premium site on top of the mountain if you can. For Gatlinburg I would stay in P Forge at Up the Creek. Very quiet cg with large sites. They only accept RV's, no tents and they do not have bath houses. It is close enough to P Forge and Gatlinburg it is a very short drive.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Need a bit more info on what you are looking for. As said, in G'burg you can find CG's from 20 bucks a night to 75 bucks a night so how fancy do you want? Do you want G'burg proper or is Pigeon Forge or Sevierville or Townsend OK?

Nothing fancy like Dumplin Valley gets you a field behind the horse barn with hookups. Been by this one many times but have never stayed and it is acceptable, its clean and safe really. High end gets you Anchor Down or The Ridge RV parks, 2 of the newest and best rated parks in the area.

There are so many choices all over the area that you need to narrow it down to what your expectations are.

As for Asheville we like Asheville west KOA in Candler. We have stayed at Bear Creek in Asheville and its a nice park but can be noisy being situated in the middle of the I-40, I-26 and I-240 interchange.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for somewhere to lay your head or someplace with all the amenities?

We are 'long trippers' & part of the formula for being able to do 3-4 month trips is staying out of premium CGs.

For near Gatlinburg we do Dumplin Valley, Kodak, TN. Very quiet but nothing fancy. No fancy price either.

Going to the Ashville Quilt Show has become an annual event for us & for that we use the fairgrounds CG onsite. Basic 50A FHU, nice view towards the mountains &, like all fairground CGs, near empty when no events are on. It is a little out of town close to the airport. Not alot of air traffic.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
For Gatlinburg I have always enjoyed staying in the town of Townsend. Not a bad drive into Gatlinburg but way less crowded and much quieter. I'm not a KOA type person but the one in Townsend is excellent. There is also another campground next door to the KOA called Little Arrow. It is nice as well. Both are less than one mile from the entrance to the Smokey Mtn. National Park and much closer to Cades Cove than coming from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.
For Asheville, if you need to be in/near the city, campfire Lodgings is nice. As another said above, Momma Gertries seems to get a lot of traffic but I have never stayed there myself. Lake Powhatan Recreational Area is near Asheville and is pretty nice as well.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asheville I can recommend Campfire Lodgings which is north of Asheville near Weaverville. Nice small well maintained. They have 7-8 premium sites that over look a valley. Iโ€™ve heard good reviews from about Momma Gerties but have not stayed there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT