cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Lock

marininn
Explorer
Explorer
I am searching for ways others have secured their generator, specifically when mounted to a receiver hitch tray.
I made my tray, but have only come up with a slightly complicated way to lock it on, one that is hard for thieves to get toโ€ฆ
Currently my idea is a 2 inch flat metal stock bent over and around the generator and continue under. A hole in each end for a solid pipe to run through and padlock that to tray.
I am afraid a chain is too common a thing for thieves, so looking for unconventional.
I have a Ryobi 2200 inverter and there is nothing to loop through with a chain. The handle can be easily unscrewed so do not count.

Generator is on front receiver hitch, and a long cord ran to camper. Noise free inside camper yet still attached for drivingโ€ฆ I am not always with vehicle, and sometimes parked in cities.
17 REPLIES 17

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You might contact
lowprolockdown.com and see if they might be working on a design for Ryobi generators. So far they have designs for 3 different Honda's, a Yamaha and a Champion. Basically they use a mounting plate that uses the holes for the foot pads bolts. The plate fits into a frame and uses a round Master padlock that fits into a shielded recess to lock down the generator.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Cables, chains and locks may slow a thief down at least. I recently learned of a way to scare them away. I follow a YouTube channel called "Nomadic Fanatic." He drives a class C that has his motorcycle attached to the back. He has some type of motion sensor alarm attached to the bike. The motion of someone trying to take the bike down sets it off, and it has worked to prevent theft. You would have to peruse his videos to find the brand. I think that such an alarm attached to a generator could be very effective.

I have an extra generator, an $89 Harbor Freight Tailgator. My logic is that few people will think that it is worth stealing, and so far my logic has worked.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use one of those motorcycle cable locks with a pin tumbler (round key). It's vinyl covered cable and don't rattle and it's weather proof too. I figure if a thief wants it bad enough and I'm not around, it's gone (it's insured anyway) but the cable lock takes some sawing to get through. Most thieves don't have the time (or the tools) to cut it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB