cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator shelf fabrication

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
planning to fab a shelf on my trailer tongue to carry a generator. The generator weights a little less than 50 pounds. It will be located between the propane bottles and the camper shell over the battery. I plan to use 1 inch square tube made from aluminum or steel. Question is what material would you use and why? Difference in weight is not a factor. It will stand about 10-12 inches above battery.
14 REPLIES 14

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d prefer to have gen secured in truck box. Noise isolation from trailer just one good reason.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

MrWizard
I would not want to PUT a generator between the trailer and the propane tanks,
ISSUES ARE
heat from the generator
Access to the generator
Refueling the generator
Generator would be an ignition source, if there is a propane leak
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Mitch, I really want something that sits lower, something behind the tanks and above the battery. Between the tanks and trailer itself.
Since I have a hard tank cover something as pictured would block access to tanks. With AGM batteries I don't need access to them often. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This looks pretty cool.. Stole the image from CW, so it's for sale under $200..

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:
I wouldn't use square tube stock myself. 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/16' steel angle comes in 4' lengths. Welded together as a frame you could make it a tight fit or add some storage space. Some build a box with expanded metal sides and top. You can hinge a side for easy removal, make it all lockable with pad locks. The full box secures the generator too. You could then bolt that to the tongue via some custom clamps, no drilling needed. Or just weld it solid if its going to be permanent.

I really want to keep it light and simple. I'm not concerned about theft but will put a lock on it. I do plan to bolt the rack to the tongue without drilling the frame.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't use square tube stock myself. 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3/16' steel angle comes in 4' lengths. Welded together as a frame you could make it a tight fit or add some storage space. Some build a box with expanded metal sides and top. You can hinge a side for easy removal, make it all lockable with pad locks. The full box secures the generator too. You could then bolt that to the tongue via some custom clamps, no drilling needed. Or just weld it solid if its going to be permanent.

Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
*snip*
I initially plan to run the generator in place. This may change due to vibration...
There are various isolaters available to address vibration. You will need to know the weight and frequency to select the best one.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Is this a real DIY project you are doing yourself? How you weld them is different for each one, but if you know how to weld, that's awesome!

If you are having it done by a "pro", then they should be able to suggest the pros/cons of each material choice.

Are you going to run the gen from the front of your rig? Or is it just for hauling it?

Good luck! Mitch

I am well aware that the manner and skills are different for each material.
I initially plan to run the generator in place. This may change due to vibration and exhaust issues. Thanks

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this a real DIY project you are doing yourself? How you weld them is different for each one, but if you know how to weld, that's awesome!

If you are having it done by a "pro", then they should be able to suggest the pros/cons of each material choice.

Are you going to run the gen from the front of your rig? Or is it just for hauling it?

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
Aluminum, will not rust and no need to paint it.

If you go aluminum make sure to isolate the connections.

Where two different metals are in contact, you will tend to get accelerated galvanic corrosion.

In this case the aluminum will sacrifice to protect the steel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you make it out of aluminum make it very stout. Aluminum flexes. When it flexes, it work hardens. Then it cracks.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you welding or bolting? If bolting it together check out 80/20 Material. It's not cheap but it sure is fun to play with.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Aluminum or stainless
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aluminum, will not rust and no need to paint it.