cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question bolting up new axles...

scrollmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2001 Jayco Quest 28 ft I've dropped old axles and ready to bolt up new axles. Changing the spring hangers, all bushings and new electric brake assemblies. The new 1/2" bolts going in have grooves behind the bolt head. How tight should I go on these bolts?... is there a torque I should use? I've attempted to link a photo of a bolt in center hanger bracket but not too good at this so may or may not work.
Dennis
Photo of a new bolt in hanger
~ the scrollmaster ~
Ford 4x4 F250 SuperDuty 7.3L PowerStroke
2001 Jayco Qwest 24ft
Kipor 3500Ti
10 REPLIES 10

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
In order to prevent the bolts from turning you need to press the bolts in and hold the bolt to prevent it turning when you torque them.
Bkick

scrollmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I also stopped yesterday and talked with the shop foreman that does trailer alignment and said pretty much what ya'll guys said. With new bushings in everything, new hanger kit, etc when I bolt everything up it should be where factory put it assuming frame hasn't been bent. He also suggested to bring by when I finish and they will check alignment for me at no charge.
Thanks again,
Dennis
~ the scrollmaster ~
2001 Jayco Qwest 24ft
Kipor 3500Ti

scrollmaster
Explorer
Explorer
socoguy wrote:
Would be an opportune time to add wet bolts (greasable zerk fittings).
Bolts should be set flush. Your photo worked fine.

I stopped yesterday and picked up the greasable bolts I need for this. Only had 7 in stock but will have the others in this week. I will wait to finish bolting axles up until they get here.
Thanks,
Dennis
~ the scrollmaster ~
2001 Jayco Qwest 24ft
Kipor 3500Ti

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Drive bolt into hanger until flush. I tapped mine with a hammer, tightened nut, tapped bolt with hammer, etc. until flush. That bolt is serrated so it is designed NOT to turn.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Tom_Dee
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Oh! You dropped out both axles? How you gunna make sure your axles are aligned perpendicular to the kingpin? Lots of people make that mistake. Now you have to bolt everything up and hope for the best. Maybe try the string method to get you close. But get to a good alignment shop ASAP. BE SURE TO DO THAT.
You do realize that there are center bolts in the springs for this purpose, don't you? The axles have a hole that the center bolt goes into so the alignment should be real close to what it was.
'96 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins, '06 Dutchmen 24P, a 16' boat to go behind it all!! Diesel Truck Site

scrollmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I have grade 5 bolts so will pull them to 60 lbs.

I didn't know about the wet kit for the hangers and trailer supply place didn't mention them as an option, sure wish I'd known.

I figured that if I kept the bolts centered I'd be ok on alignment of axles but the suggestion of having them checked probably worth doing.

This was my first travel trailer of three and still like using it for short trips. I've probably spent more keeping it up than I should have but we set up at gun shows, flea markets, etc and 28 ft great for getting around civic center parking lots and still plenty room for my wife and I for weekend shows.
Dennis
~ the scrollmaster ~
2001 Jayco Qwest 24ft
Kipor 3500Ti

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
What I did when doing this was to use a brass hammer to drive the bolt in so the head touches the hanger, then install and tighten the nuts to spec. If you weren't given specs with the kit a grade 5 bolt (3 marks on head) should be tightend to 60 ft. lbs. If they are grade 8 bolts then use 90 ft. lbs.

My bushings were long enough to prevent collapsing the spring hanger legs together.

Assuming the original spring hangers were welded in the proper place to align the original axles, the replacements will be aligned the same ASSUMING the spring pads are engaged with the pin in the center of the springs.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Oh! You dropped out both axles? How you gunna make sure your axles are aligned perpendicular to the kingpin? Lots of people make that mistake. Now you have to bolt everything up and hope for the best. Maybe try the string method to get you close. But get to a good alignment shop ASAP. BE SURE TO DO THAT.
As for the bolts, torque them according to the bolt spec's. Be sure to check the Bolts grade before checking the spec's. Grade 5 have a different spec than a grade 8.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Would be an opportune time to add wet bolts (greasable zerk fittings).
Bolts should be set flush. Your photo worked fine.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Ever watch a vehicle go down the roat catywampus? Like axle wasn't aligned?. May be a good idea to alignn those axles.