cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 volt sealed batteries, for house bat.Pro/Con

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my house batteries,2 6 volt, wet cell.
From my previous post, some suggest using 1,12 volt deep cell. We do not dry camp.
Would like to hear from those that are using this configuration
Have narrowed search to, Duracell, Interstate, AGM, 12 volt deep cycle.
Both are equal in reserve power.

Thanks,
Chuck

Replaced with 2 Interstate, 6 volt.

Thanks for the help!!
Chuck & Laraine
25 REPLIES 25

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
BillMFl wrote:

Sealed batteries don't have to be AGMs. I use sealed marine deep cycles in both my Class A and my Class B. But for sure sealed batteries are best for confined spaces with poor ventilation.

I thought those wet sealed were starting batteries. Do you have a link to those batteries so I can review the specs? My details are in my profile.

The AGMs are hybrids with both starting and deep cycle service specs.

I used an inverter to run a 900W electric 120V kettle with my 79AH AGM for 7 min to boil a quart of water. Would an equivalent AH wet sealed do that without exploding?

HTH;
John

My B van is a Ford Hi Top that I converted to a camper myself. I have both 12vdc and 120vac installed.

In the B van I run a 900 watt inverter off a group 27 marine deep cycle to run my micro wave, TV and frig when not on shore power. The frig runs as I go down the road. The micro draws max amps from the inverter but I only use it for a few minutes to heat a cup of coffee water or warm up food. The battery also recharges off the engine alternator when I turn the battery select switch to on. No explosions in 5 years haha with the B. And no explosions in 50 years of boating. Explosions are most frequent when a vented battery releases hydrogen in a confined space where the gas can accumulate. It only takes a small spark.

You can get specs from any of the major battery companies like Johnson Controls, etc. Or you can go to a West Marine web site or catalog for marine apps. A marine deep cycle works very well in RVs. They come in a variety of sizes with 24 and 27 being the most common. There are also high end upgrades with larger capacity (think more lead plates and weight) at a substantial price increase. I paid $139 each for a pair of standard Group 27 sealed marine deep cycle this year for my RV house batteries. I hardly ever boondock and only overnight when I do. I have used marine deep cycle batteries in all the RVs I have owned and never have had a problem.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi John,

I ran 1500 watts from a pair of group 29 marine batteries. No explosion, but about 230 amps-hours, so more than the 79 you quote.

AGM's are definitely impressive on their ability to produce high amperage output.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
BillMFl wrote:

Sealed batteries don't have to be AGMs. I use sealed marine deep cycles in both my Class A and my Class B. But for sure sealed batteries are best for confined spaces with poor ventilation.

I thought those wet sealed were starting batteries. Do you have a link to those batteries so I can review the specs? My details are in my profile.

The AGMs are hybrids with both starting and deep cycle service specs.

I used an inverter to run a 900W electric 120V kettle with my 79AH AGM for 7 min to boil a quart of water. Would an equivalent AH wet sealed do that without exploding?

HTH;
John

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
AGM batteries were a godsend for me. In my case, the AGMs made my system possible.

I have living space issues because there is not enough outside space for the AHs I need.

There are no batteries on the tongue. I use that space for other cargo.

The AGMs are inside the van and under the bed/dinette in the TT. Some have suggested that they could have been wets if I bought a sealed container and then drilled holes for vents in the van and TT. That only makes maintenance more difficult and dangerous. Nogo for me as I put the AGMs in somewhat inaccessible locations where an acid spill could occur during water maintenance. There goes any cost savings.

I also believe I need fewer AHs than wets would have required. That saves space and $.

HTH;
John

Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
AGM batteries were a godsend for me. In my case, the AGMs made my system possible.

I have living space issues because there is not enough outside space for the AHs I need.

There are no batteries on the tongue. I use that space for other cargo.

The AGMs are inside the van and under the bed/dinette in the TT. Some have suggested that they could have been wets if I bought a sealed container and then drilled holes for vents in the van and TT. That only makes maintenance more difficult and dangerous. Nogo for me as I put the AGMs in somewhat inaccessible locations where an acid spill could occur during water maintenance. There goes any cost savings.

I also believe I need fewer AHs than wets would have required. That saves space and $.

HTH;
John

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
harold1946 wrote:

There are Marine deep cycle batteries and there are marine deep cycle/starting batteries. Two different applications.

Have never seen a true Deep Cycle battery with the word MARINE printed on it... Though I can see where there would be an advantage to DEEP CYCLE for many functions on the water.

I have seen true DEEP CYCLE 12 volt batteries in assorted sizes from around Group 27 up to you can't pick it up without a forklift.. But then it also POWERED said forklift.

All the Marine/Deep cycle (usually labeled exactly as I typed it with the slash) are starting batteries which can be SLIGHTLY discharged beyond what you would do with a common car battery.

The other claim I often see that I dispute is the claim of longer life for AGM's.

When I bought this MH, It came with a pair of GC-2 Flooded wet cells, I will be replacing them soon.

The following January I added a pair of AGM's. Replaced them 2 years ago.

I also slepped in some Maintenance Free Marine/Deep cycle types I had lying about, these are OLDER than the GC-2. Those I replaced over teh course of this last summer (2013) The last one last month

So the Maintenance free roughly lasted as long as the GC-2, but both of them long outlasted the far more expensive AGMs.

I agree with you about agms not being worth the extra cost. But you are dead wrong about marine deep cycles being only a starting battery. 50 years of boating and owning at least 20 boats from 12' to 43' long I have had excellent performance from marine deep cycle batteries. A day of fishing with a big trolling motor pushing a heavy center console fishing boat can virtually totally deplete a battery. I have abused the same deep cycle batteries over and over again, not to mention the very hostile salt water environment they have to survive in. They hold up extremely well in a much more demanding environment than RV usage. Yes they are often used as starting batteries too, and there are combination starting/deep cycle batteries available too (I have never bought one). But marine deep cycle batteries typically last for 5 to 7 years for me in every RV I have owned (class C, A and 5vers). You are entitled to your opinion but it just doesn't hold up compared to what I have seen in actual use. Oh, and I used to buy, sell and repair boats after I retired as an engineer. Now there are some very expensive extra heavy duty group 27 deep cycle marine batteries that commercial fishermen and guides like to use but they are way more than the average boater or rv person would need. They would be good for a serious boondocker with solar charging.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
Okay...I'll be more exact.....your converter converts 110v power to 12 volt, but uses the batteries as a cushion for even battery power and operation. No matter how you look at it, you need to have a good set of batteries!

The battery is used as a cushion but only for the high amp draw items like slide motors or high power inverters (If you have them). Even then, a piece of junk battery does the job when you are plugged in or if the engine is running. Sometimes you can get away with no battery at all if you connect the positive leads but that depends on the strength of the converter. You can tell the devices that use the battery bacnk as a cushion as they will have their own positive lead on the bank.

Edit: I should add that that is how it works on the units I have owned or looked at. Obviously there may be exceptions I guess..
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
chucl66 wrote:
Will an 12 volt, AGM work, with the progressive dynamics, PD9260C, converter/charger, with built in charge guard.

Chuck

According to the techs at Progressive Dynamics, they will. And I have been charging my two Deka 8D AGM batteries (almost $500 each) with a PD9270 for 2 years now. You use the same setting that regular batteries use. If you are going to charge GEL batteries, you need to install a ic jumper. Just call the Progressive Dynamics Service Dept at 269-781-4242 and they will fill you in. Good people there!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Okay...I'll be more exact.....your converter converts 110v power to 12 volt, but uses the batteries as a cushion for even battery power and operation. No matter how you look at it, you need to have a good set of batteries!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat Don wrote:
Chuck...good for you on replacing the batteries with the Interstates. People seem to forget that even if you're not dry camping, all of your 12 volt powered items run through your batteries first, plugged into shore power or not.

The batteries are the heartbeat of the coach. The people that put in cheap batteries to save a few dollars are always the ones that can't figure out why they're having electrical issues later on.

Would you put a Kirkland battery in your pacemaker?

That is not true.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
harold1946 wrote:

There are Marine deep cycle batteries and there are marine deep cycle/starting batteries. Two different applications.

Have never seen a true Deep Cycle battery with the word MARINE printed on it... Though I can see where there would be an advantage to DEEP CYCLE for many functions on the water.

I have seen true DEEP CYCLE 12 volt batteries in assorted sizes from around Group 27 up to you can't pick it up without a forklift.. But then it also POWERED said forklift.

All the Marine/Deep cycle (usually labeled exactly as I typed it with the slash) are starting batteries which can be SLIGHTLY discharged beyond what you would do with a common car battery.

The other claim I often see that I dispute is the claim of longer life for AGM's.

When I bought this MH, It came with a pair of GC-2 Flooded wet cells, I will be replacing them soon.

The following January I added a pair of AGM's. Replaced them 2 years ago.

I also slepped in some Maintenance Free Marine/Deep cycle types I had lying about, these are OLDER than the GC-2. Those I replaced over teh course of this last summer (2013) The last one last month

So the Maintenance free roughly lasted as long as the GC-2, but both of them long outlasted the far more expensive AGMs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my two 12v wet cell Georgetown house batteries with 2 sealed group 27 marine deep cycle batteries. The group 27 gives you a little more capacity. Marine deep cycle batteries are true deep cycle. They are frequently used to power electric trolling motors as well as house batteries for a boat. Using an electric trolling motor for a day's fishing really depletes a battery and starter batteries would not last. I have used agm's in my 43' trawler (it had three 8d's which are huge) when I first bought it. I personally don't think agm's are worth the much higher cost, so as they die off I am replacing them with wet cell or sealed. Two have been replaced so far, one left to go. Original equipment was two 8ds for starting the two diesel engines and one 8d for the house and one group 27 marine sealed deep cycle for the generator. The 8ds weigh over 80lbs each and are not fun to remove/replace. Especially since they are down in the bilge area behind the engines. Very little working room. Big boats and Class A MHs have a lot in common. They both are expensive to buy, expensive to operate and repair, and the first owner gets killed on depreciation.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck...good for you on replacing the batteries with the Interstates. People seem to forget that even if you're not dry camping, all of your 12 volt powered items run through your batteries first, plugged into shore power or not.

The batteries are the heartbeat of the coach. The people that put in cheap batteries to save a few dollars are always the ones that can't figure out why they're having electrical issues later on.

Would you put a Kirkland battery in your pacemaker?
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Pros and cons of Sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid over Flooded wet cell.

Pro: Little maintenance (They say Maintenance free but they still need some terminal cleaning every few years).

Cons: First, most MF batteries sold for RV use are Maine/Deep cycle, Marine/Deep cycle are NOT deep cycle, they are starting batteries, though they can safely go slightly deeper into discharge than a automotive starting battery. but 50 percent is a seriously deep discharge for them, it is the recommended minimum charge on the flooded wet cell GC-2 Deep cycle.

Cons: Higher cost

Cons: Lower overall life in many cases.

So for the best "Bang for your buck" GC-2's from Sam's Club may be the best buy.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad