Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 year update on running Michelin Super Singles

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

I have now put about 50,000 miles on a set of Michelins.

Original Super Single post

I still like them. No blowouts (other than trailer tires, but that is another topic...)

When I need new ones I'll get them again.

What else do you want to know? 🙂

The reasons I got them were:

- better MPG
- two less tires to check air pressure on
- smoother ride
- easier turning radius

All the downsides that people talk about have not really been an issue for me. Driving in snow/sleet has been great. They track nicely on the freeway with ruts. No blowouts.

Have a nice day all!
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1
9 REPLIES 9

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
The only down side I see is the 2 spares you will need, I like having a spare when needed and I have 1 now but where to put a super single spare ??

:h

Not to mention: would a road service guy be able to bring (or MOUNT) a super single?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the only cost is the price of the rims. 1 super single is real close to the cost of 2 normal tires.

Truthfully, we should have expected you to make this choice, but I suspect that all the reasons you did it have nothing to do with what you posted. We know the real truth - you wanted wide racing tires on your RV! (We've read your blog)
IRV2

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Good report I've been waiting to hear how they have been working on RV's! What I like about them is the way they look! I just put new XRV's on last Fall at $378.00 per tire ($2,268.00 for 6 tires) just for the tires on the Michelin FMCA Fleet Tire Discount Program. What is the cost of 4 Super Singles plus 4 new rims out the door?

A coach with six tires would only need two super singles with new rims on the rear. You will end up with two normal front tires and two super singles on the rear. So, four tires total.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Love to hear the "easier turning radius" story ?
Thanks
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
The only down side I see is the 2 spares you will need, I like having a spare when needed and I have 1 now but where to put a super single spare ??

:h

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the OP's original post-

6 Tires - assuming they are $450/each - $2700 plus install and stuff...

vs.

2 Steer Tires - $450/each - $900
2 Aluminum rims - $300/each (used) - $600
2 Super Singles - $850 each - $1700

total - $3200 plus install and stuff...

If I were to buy NEW rims - they are about $450/ea vs. the $300/ea for used ones.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Good report I've been waiting to hear how they have been working on RV's! What I like about them is the way they look! I just put new XRV's on last Fall at $378.00 per tire ($2,268.00 for 6 tires) just for the tires on the Michelin FMCA Fleet Tire Discount Program. What is the cost of 4 Super Singles plus 4 new rims out the door?

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to hear they've worked well for you, however I'm content with our dual tire configuration and plan to keep them.

Best of luck & safe travels...:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you're happy, but I must say that seems like an awful lot of tire for the RV in your sig pic...;)

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien