Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Compressor Projects - Anyone?

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

So the weather is good, the motorhome is uncovered and I've got work to do. 😛

We have a '90 Triple E Empress. I'm thinking there's an advantage to having an air compressor on it somewhere. I'm curious if anyone has done or heard of any air compressor projects. I'm thinking maybe installing the tank under the chassis, inside the frame rails or something. That way the motor of the compressor can take up less room in a compartment. With the Triple E I have lots of empty space in front of the motor. (I wonder what other people have done with that area) Of course obviously you have to be careful not to lose air movement to keep the engine cool.

But I haven't found much of anything online. It seems maybe most people just buy a small compressor and put in in a compartment.I guess it's from my Jeep days when people would come up with creative ways to install one into the Jeep since you had limited room.

So, has anyone done something like this?

Edit: Brainfart about the model year.
7 REPLIES 7

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
i bought a small Viair type compressor and added a 3 gallon reservoir, water trap and pressure valve from Airbagit.com. Mounted the compressor/tank in the forward passenger side compartment and ran a line back to the rear side utility compartment where I put a Lowes air-reel with 50' of 1/4" line. I have used it many times and even use it instead of my big compressor in the garage. that 50' reel is handy to pull out.
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

dbates
Explorer
Explorer

I installed the about in one of my bays. Since I only have 19.5" tires I only need 80# presure and this one will cover 100# A-OK.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent, it's nice to see some Jeep owners. 🙂 Unfortunately I sold mine a few years ago. I never got to the point of installing air though, it was my next project. Already had just shy of 6" lift with 35's. But, before I get way off topic..

Well as I mentioned I already have an air compressor that I think I'll use. I'm thinking of taking it apart, mount the tanks separate from it to cut down on the space it takes up. I was curious to see how other people had attached tanks, ran lines, things like that.

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

I miss my Jeep. 😞

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Gents,
As has been noted, many Jeep owners, that use them anyway, have done just what's been suggested. We've owned 7 Jeep Wranglers. (1) CJ-5, (2) CJ-7s, (2)YJs, and (2)TJs. All of them I installed engine driven air compressors. On two, I installed air tanks. One of which, was the front bumper. It was a 2"x4" tubular bumper with sealed ends and fittings on the inside(toward radiator). It worked flawless.

As many of you know, having compressed air at the grab of a hat, is priceless sometimes. But, in setting something like that up, it takes ingenuity, and tenacity. About 99.9% of the Diesel owners out there already have an advantage. They've got an engine driven compressor already on board. Many have plumbed and valved systems for airing up tires etc. already done by the factory.

But, the gas owners, well, that's where the ingenuity comes in. While it is possible, on some of the gas engines out there to rig an engine driven compressor, it is for the most part, a serious effort. And, the problem is, unless your air system, tank, lines, valves etc. are seriously SEALED, you won't have available immediate air, unless you start up your rig. That's not the end of the world, unless it's in the wee hours of the morning or late at night.

Now, we come to alternate ways of "making compressed air". I've built home air compressors and, even jeep compressors out of "Tecumseh" A/C pumps, and, Sanden A/C pumps. One is a piston style pump and one is a rotary style pump. The Sandon one is by far easier to mount up and adapt to surroundings. Then, all one needs is a 110VAC motor, a pulley or two, some plumbing and a tank.

Now if you've got a regular air compressor (compressor head) then, you still need the rest of the parts to build your system.

Then, you could simply mount, an already made unit, and plumb it to a tank via some lines etc. and put a couple of outlets, maybe one at lateral ends of the coach. You could have setup for it to come on automatically as you use air, or, have to turn on a switch to energize it. If our Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT didn't already have an air system on it, I might have one built by now. As is, I still carry a Sears unit that's very popular on this forum.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see a few others are intersted in an on board compressed air system
I installed a 5 gallon storage tank on the frame rails and a Quick Air 3 that later blew into pieces replaced with a Viair 450 100% DC system and LOVE it - NEVER leave home without it

As you stated check out the Jeepers forums there is a lot more info there than on this site for compressed air systems

rexabbot
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a $69 Harbor Freight compressor rated to 150 psi.
Clicky
It connects directly to the battery with no compressor tank.

It filled my dual tires fine. My on board air could not get me to 100psi.
I have not tried the fronts that I run at 150 psi yet.

Looks good so far.

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that I inherited an air compressor while it's not big.. it's not small either. I already have a large on in my garage. So I figured I could make some magic happen rather than going out and buying another air compressor.