cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approx fuel left when light comes on???

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I got a 2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K. The specs say it has a 55 gallon fuel tank. My fuel light came on while headed home. I drove about 15 miles to the gas station near home. I filled up a lil over 48 gallons and averaged 8.4 mpg.

Anyone know the aprox gallons left when the light come on?

My math shows it came on right around 9 gallons left, assuming a true 55-gallon fill.

Anyone know what Ford sets it at?
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
26 REPLIES 26

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between how much fuel is left in the tank and how much usable fuel is left in the tank.

I changed the fuel pump in my '03 E-450. I ran the tank down as low as I dared - the light was on for a long time. I was sure it was very close to empty.

I dropped the fuel tank and siphoned another 6 gallons out.

I put the empty tank back in place (new fuel pump) and poured 5+ gallons in before anything registered on the fuel gauge.

I still have no idea how much usable fuel was in the tank.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind the remaining fuel in the tank also cools in-tank fuel pumps and in diesel engines, it cools the high pressure pump.
So you don't want to run it down to nothing on a regular basis.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a car so I start looking for a gas station that is easy to get in and out of and not too expensive at about the half full mark. That way I am not in a rush to get gas.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
To many variables. I fill up at or before 1/4 tank.If you start looking at 1/2 you won't be in a rush to find "someplace" before it runs out.
Bill

THIS. Really. Running it down to E will bite you in the butt at the worst possible time.

And if you have an onboard Gen, it won't run if the tank is below a certain point. Usually advertised as a quarter but some have found it's more like half.

AND running the tank dry can kill a fuel pump.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I don't like to push my luck so make every attempt to stay out of that zone. It has come on a few times but I haven't been bitten..... yet.

x2. While it is nice to know how much fuel is left when the light comes on, I think it can be a bad habit to start relying on the 'low fuel light' to start looking for fuel.
I also start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank. Why gamble on running out of fuel?
I've filled up when my tank was at 3/4 because I found a good price along my route.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use same method and my truck is a 6 gallon reserve and I have pushed it to the fumes. I would go with 9 or just 8 as correct. Easier to count miles so maybe 60 miles unless going up a significant hill.

You really want to know you could carry a 5 gallon can or two and run it fully out. See if you get 60 miles or more. Although not sure it is a great idea to run out of fuel that way.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not count on 9 gallons when the low fuel light comes on.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the chassis owner's manual will list that information? My motorhome is old enough that it doesn't have a low fuel light, just the usual gauge.

My car owner's manual states that the light comes on when there is "approximately 1.62 gallons left" in the tank, which always struck me as a rather oddly precise approximation. Perhaps it varies by a few tablespoons or something. I should perhaps note that the tank holds a total of about 10-11 gallons, and the car gets nearly 40 miles per gallon, so 1.62 gallons is a reasonable amount of warning before running out on that vehicle.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I would do is just go with what you figured out already... Your low fuel light comes on when you have ~ 9 gallons of gas left... Done deal. 🙂

When my low fuel light comes on, I have about 5 gallons left, but that's with an F150 with the 36 gallon tank.

However, if I have 1/4 tank left (~9 gallons) and I park on any kind of slope with the nose of the truck down, it'll throw the low fuel light.

I now don't let it get past 1/4 tank if I can help it. If I have to go more, I know that I've got at least that ~ 5 gallons once the light comes on and I'm looking for gas ASAP..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like to push my luck so make every attempt to stay out of that zone. It has come on a few times but I haven't been bitten..... yet.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
To many variables. I fill up at or before 1/4 tank.If you start looking at 1/2 you won't be in a rush to find "someplace" before it runs out.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of people would like to know that magic number. Sounds to me you go it about right. With a 55 gallon tank you can be a couple gallons either way depending which way your truck is leaning front to back or side to side when you fill up. But I bet you are close. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!