cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries OUT before the steps IN

NowWhere2
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled a bone-head move yesterday and pulled the batteries out of our brand new FR3 30DS while the retractable step was in :S I've done this before, but i failed to bring out my 'cheat sheet' from prior years to remind myself not to do that!

so i hooked one battery back up, but steps would not move, I tested the slide out and it had power, so my battery was hooked up OK

Isn't there a manual way to bring these steps in without disassembling them?
17 REPLIES 17

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I also take my batteries out for the winter, it's a good time to clean up that area of the engine compartment. They can be manually retracted, but it does take some disassembly so it's probably not worth the effort. It sounds like your steps are powered from the opposite source of the slides (chassis vs. coach), did you try switching the battery to the other cables?

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I would be a millionaire if I got $100 for every customer that stated they were positive they connected ALL cables correctly and did not miss 1 cable when they have disconnected the Batteries from their RV.
2. The general rule of thumb I ALWAYS follow with this type complaint is this--IF IT WORKED BEFORE YOU DISCONNECTED THE BATTERIES AND NOW SOMETHING DOES NOT WORK, THEN YOU DID NOT CONNECT ALL THE CABLES OR MISCONNECTED A CABLE. This works 99% of the time.
3. Without power to the steps you must disconnect the linkage to get them up
4. There is a amber light underneath the step. Does this light come on and OFF when you open and close the door? If so, you have power to the step. Doug

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess my question is why do you take the batteries out haha... If the batteries are fully charged they will last the winter months around here just fine. Charged up batteries also will not freeze up as well.

Being a motorhome i guess the truck start battery should get switched out as well.. I was always leary of switching out the truck start batteies as all of the electronic controlled things for the truck motor system may have to be reset again when you hook them back up... Aorund here that will cost $90 to be connected up to the dealership computer system to reset things with.

I just switch my batteries completely out of the circuit here and leave them sitting. Out of habit however I still do a status check on them with my meter panel ocassionally.

My RV trailers are parked here at home so don't have to deal with the storage lots or worry about thief...

Not familiar with the step motors - too fancy for me haha - others will have to answer that question.

I jumped the gun on answering this - didn't realize it was a motorhome at first...

Battery systems work the same however whether or not they are used in a motorhome or POPUP camper like I have.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS