cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bedroom slide breaking shear pins

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 GB cruise air with 3 slides. Livingroom, kitchen and bedroom.

When bringing in the slides I hold down two switches. When the slide is completely in or out it stops automatically and I let go of the switches. All three slides operate in this manner.

Awhile ago I brought in the bedroom slide and when it reached its limit instead of stopping it sheared the pin. First time in 10 years. Thinking it was an obstruction I had it checked, all good. Replaced the pin (not an easy task as itโ€™s behind the motor). This worked for approx 10 in and outs and once again I sheared the pin. My dad watch the motor that drives the rod and gears as it came in and when it gets to the full out or in position he could actually see it torque.

If I carefully bring in the slid and stop it just prior to it reaching its limit I save the shear pin. But if I donโ€™t stop it quickly enough I break the pin.

This is a picture of the slide out controller. There are two. Iโ€™m assuming 1 operates 2 slides the other 1 slide. (There was a 4 slide option on this MH)

I contacted the company who makes this part and they say it does not control the stopping of the slide. That the motor does using a thermal break.

Now Iโ€™m really confused because my RV person said this module controls the stopping using current.

Any ideas?
Doug Rainer?
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
53 REPLIES 53

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
I got 10 1/4x 1 1/2 coil pins here for about $17 including shipping, a coil pin is what you want for the slides

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11121595;jsessionid=r4tJLq-TWzmSQlFgD97fHWSn.38536438-9c19-3947-9017-bf77ad0514fd

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
subtroll wrote:
We experienced bedroom slide roll pin failure many times until I discovered that the slide was not perfectly level. It was visible outside by looking at the squeeze of the rubber seal. I raised the rear corner about 1/4 inch and added a 2 x 4 stiffener in the outside wall, Problem solved.

The slide appears level. All corners seem to come in equally and seal. But we will certainly look at that a bit closer.

Thanks.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We experienced bedroom slide roll pin failure many times until I discovered that the slide was not perfectly level. It was visible outside by looking at the squeeze of the rubber seal. I raised the rear corner about 1/4 inch and added a 2 x 4 stiffener in the outside wall, Problem solved.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Have you checked with Eric's in Sequim?

Thanks. We donโ€™t cross at Port Angles often but next time I do Iโ€™ll check with Ericโ€™s in Sequim.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked with Eric's in Sequim?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
We sell Leisure B Vans. They are made about 45 miles north of the USA border. Due to UPS/FEDX shipping costs to the USA, they bundle up their shipments and drive across the border and then ship from the closest Border UPS/FEDX center. Doug

Lately we have also been getting hit with USA brokerage fees. Even when we order from places like eBay.ca and amazon.ca.
I guess I will try and find another source.
Maybe Camping World LOL
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
We sell Leisure B Vans. They are made about 45 miles north of the USA border. Due to UPS/FEDX shipping costs to the USA, they bundle up their shipments and drive across the border and then ship from the closest Border UPS/FEDX center. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is ridiculous!
General delivery to Port Angeles?
In old days the information in part number could be converted. Not sure any more.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You could try to place order. If they do then the order form should show British Columbia. If they do not ship (mail), then it should kick it back.

Yes they ship to BC. For a $3,33 order (10 pins). They want $81.00 for regular UPS shipping. $127.00 for priority. No option for USPS. Crazy.
So this is obviously not an option. I was hoping they could drop them in an envelope and mail them.

If I have them sent to a US address they want $23.00 for USPS regular mail. Pretty outrageous for a $3.33 order. Now looking for another option or company.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could try to place order. If they do then the order form should show British Columbia. If they do not ship (mail), then it should kick it back.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My thinking they would go at same time not progressively.
Have you tried setting up an account and doing order online?

That was why I was emailing them. To make sure they deliver to Canada. If not Iโ€™ll have them sent to a USA address.
I am going to call them in any case and let them know their email contact link is not working.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My thinking they would go at same time not progressively.
Have you tried setting up an account and doing order online?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The last little bit is where the slide mechanism is hitting something.

Well if it is itโ€™s got me stumped. When we baby it in carefully it sits snug on the seal all the way around. So we are bringing it in all the way, just stopping a couple times. Still pulled in tight.
There seems to be no reason for the pins to shear except the motor is still pulling even though the slide is fully in. I would think there would be some sort of limiter on it.
Or just not strong enough shear pins.

The email contact is not working on the rbwstore.com web site so I will try and call after the weekend to see if they deliver to Canada.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The last little bit is where the slide mechanism is hitting something.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I believe that slide is not operating smoothly and is getting wedged when the first (blue) shear pin fails, then second one fails.

That certainly was my original thought. But the slide works perfectly when you bring it in or out and donโ€™t quite touch the wall. If I have someone outside telling me to stop. Then baby it in the last inch or so all is good.
Prior to this problem I would simply hold the switches till I heard it seat against the wall.

It moves in and out smoothly. We can watch it with the bed up and there is no binding. We can see the entire slide and all the rails under the bed. There is no obstruction.

Iโ€™m hoping Doug is right and I have been sold the wrong shear pins. Although I have purchased them at several places when we broke them while on the road.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat