cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake controller wireing on DP

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a brake controller on my 2001 Monaco Diplomat. Have installed previously in 2 class C's, pickups and suv, however air brake pedal doesn't have brake light switch to tie into. Would appreciate and help as to which wire and where to tie wire into to actuate controller. Thanks, Don
5 REPLIES 5

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
On our '05 HR Endeavor the wires for the controller were under the dash up alongside the steering column. Even though the friendly folks at HR said there were no connections provided. Took 2 days to find them pulling at all unhooked wires under the dash. Only problem is the negative signal from the brake controller that requires a relay to change it to +12v. There is a brakelight signal under the dash but beware, when the exhaust brake comes on it send a signal to turn on the brake lights and energizes the brake wire going out to the trailer putting the brakes on full, Another reason for using a relay for your signal.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies. Don't care for the thought of the controller in the engine bay, haven't found any under the dash, and haven't looked in the left console but will. Don't want to take the dash apart as typical Monaco's of this vintage the plastic is cracked from around the screw holes, and afraid if I take it out it will fall to pieces. Guess I will keep looking. Don

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
On a diesel with air brakes the brake light switch is a pressure switch mounted in the air brake line. Your coach may already be pre-wired for a controller but as noted they can be hard to find. Monaco's usually have a central 12v wiring panel with fuses and relays where you should be able to find all 12v circuits including those for the controller.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure when Monaco started providing the trailer brake wires, but I found mine in my previous coach (2008 Safari Simba) in the left console beside the driver's seat. My current coach with Freightliner chassis, the wires were up under the dash and took me two days to find.

Good luck....those buggers are hard to find.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Between not being able to find the extra wires that Monaco runs to the back of the MH and no wire to run the brake signal from the front run box up to the dash... (I did find the extra wires hidden in the dash after several hours of looking) I gave up and mounted the controller in the engine compartment. Everything you need is easy to find back there and once the gain is set on the controller you should not have to change.

Last week I may have found the rear wires in the back run box.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...