cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying 2007 JAYCO GREYHAWK 33DS anyone out there own one?

foothill999
Explorer
Explorer
We just put a deposit on a 2007 JAYCO GREYHAWK 33DS with 19K miles. Its over 2,000 miles away so I plan on having it shipped or driven to me in CA. I have never test driven or been in this motorhome so I was wondering if anyone else that may own or has owned this model could provide some feedback? I would also love some advice for things I should be sure to ask or check prior to finalizing the sale. We currently own a older class c but this is really our first major RV purchase.
14 REPLIES 14

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
foothill999 wrote:
We so far so good. I found a shipper who agreed to fly out there to drive it back home for me. He has lots of experience and transports all kinds of RVs. He agreed to inspect it for me. It short he said everything is good. He has been driving all day and has traveled so far 600-800 miles. He said its drives great and no problems as of yet. So far gas mileage is about 6 mpg but he is cruising at 65-70mph. He will arrive in CA this Monday if no problems arise. I has a question related to this model. I have seen some that say full body paint and some that same bottom skirt painted on and some that don't mention either. Are some full paint or are all the decals vinyl ?

Sounds OK. But others have said, if you're spending that much $$ why trust so many unknowns.

Just know you are a target so be careful

foothill999
Explorer
Explorer
We so far so good. I found a shipper who agreed to fly out there to drive it back home for me. He has lots of experience and transports all kinds of RVs. He agreed to inspect it for me. It short he said everything is good. He has been driving all day and has traveled so far 600-800 miles. He said its drives great and no problems as of yet. So far gas mileage is about 6 mpg but he is cruising at 65-70mph. He will arrive in CA this Monday if no problems arise. I has a question related to this model. I have seen some that say full body paint and some that same bottom skirt painted on and some that don't mention either. Are some full paint or are all the decals vinyl ?

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Don't expect eBay or PayPal to back you up in case of fraud. I bought some cell phones on eBay, thru PayPal and got an empty box that I signed for. I couldn't open the box until I signed for it. It had newspaper in it. Ebay and PayPal did NOTHING to settle my claim. Buyer beware.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

foothill999
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I am looking into this right now.

NC Roamer wrote:
At a minimum I would recommend having a third party RV inspector go through the unit before you commit. That's pretty cheap insurance.

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I always tend to buy vehicles from quite a distance away. Next time it's going to be after these guys inspect it:

http://www.aimmobileinspections.com/

Quickly checking over the website I didn't see anything RV specific but they do inspect trucks and they should be able to check out the vehicle side of it. Maybe you could talk them into checking specific things on the coach side for extra $$.

Always get a third party to check it out.
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
At a minimum I would recommend having a third party RV inspector go through the unit before you commit. That's pretty cheap insurance.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

foothill999
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 10 years I have bought 5 other vehicles the same way and haven't been disappointed yet so I guess I am kind of a trusting person. I bought a 65K Mercedes, 2 corvettes, 2008 lexus LS460L and a dodge ram truck. I have always bought from dealers and have bought from both Florida and Texas. Ebay offers buyer protection from major fraud that that helps a little with piece of mind. I always research the dealers and look at there feedback as well. I am now second guessing..... Maybe I will look into airfare tickets and fly my husband up there to take a better look and pay in person this time.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
There are good deals out there. I bought a 5th wheel in Idaho and I live in California. Paid a dealer to inspect and the owner met me in Las Vegas. Inspected the trailer for myself before the check was handed over.

Pay someone to inspect, but also fly out and inspect yourself.

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
Something doesn't sound right with this posting. Do people actually spend $44,000 on something they haven't examined, ... etc.? Even the ebay dealer "lowering" the price by $$15,000 sends up red flags.

Mike Leslie

foothill999
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased from a dealer on ebay. According to him they did a full pti inspection, it has new tires, tune up and service and the roof has been sealed. I live in in CA and its located in Alabama. It would probally take 5 days to drive it home. I will look into having a 3rd party go out and inspect it. Thank you all. He reduced his price from 59,000 to 44k does that seem like a fair price for this model? That is assuming there is nothing majorly wrong 🙂

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you put a deposit on something that you haven't seen, driven, inspected, etc.? Put a hold on that check, and get a professional 3rd party inspection on the unit. I'm not saying you might be walking into a mess, but unscrupulous dealers just LOVE people like you.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with j-d. I bought Winnie from Scottsdale, Arizona in 2011 and I flew out to examine before finalizing the deal at the owners bank and driving the 1300 miles to Texas.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us have Greyhawks and like them.

That said, you'd better fly out there and look at it up close and personal. Seven years is more than enough for major things to have gone wrong, like leaks. Also long enough for serious potential problems to be ready to pop up on a long trip, like tires and brakes.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ronfisherman
The Greyhawk 33DS is a Super C. The Kodiak chassis has been good. Jayco only made the 33DS for one year. It was a cut down from the Seneca. You may want to check out the Super C forum linked in my signature below.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD