cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coolant additive

03_RoadKing
Explorer
Explorer
Ok doing my yearly maintenance. Everything I hear about checking the additive is to put the test strip into the coolant in the radiator and not the recovery tank. Problem with that is with a side radiator there isn't a cap to open on the radiator. What do you folks do to get a good reading.
Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire
6 REPLIES 6

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
rexabbot wrote:
X2

YUP! Petcock!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the recovery tank is reasonably accurate.

If you look at the level in the tank with the engine/coolant cold and then warm, you will find that the level warm is over 30% higher than cold. Said another way, you are "changing" coolant in the reservoir every three times you drive the coach.

Is checking in the reservoir as accurate-- no. Is it accurate enough-- yes.

Another BIG caution. The test strips are quite time sensitive. Using an expired strip will likely give erroneous results.

And, if you are tired of checking and adding SCA's, switch to one of the new generation OAT-based coolants. If you have a Caterpillar, I suggest Caterpillar ELC. If Cummins, the equivalent product from Fleetguard (Cummins brand). 6 year life with no checking and no adding unless you drive over 300,000 miles and then just add a "booster" after 300,000 miles.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Petcock at the bottom of the radiator on my Spartan chassis.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

rexabbot
Explorer
Explorer
X2

deadbat
Explorer
Explorer
03 RoadKing wrote:
Ok doing my yearly maintenance. Everything I hear about checking the additive is to put the test strip into the coolant in the radiator and not the recovery tank. Problem with that is with a side radiator there isn't a cap to open on the radiator. What do you folks do to get a good reading.

never heard that one? If one knows that no new antifreeze or water has been added and the vehicle has been run sufficiently as to know the coolant has circulated properly then test strip in the overflow /recovery tank is good to go

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I take my sample at the petcock on the lower coolant pipe accessible from the bottom of the coach, then send it off in a coolant test kit to Monitor C labs (Cummins).
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.