cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do mattress toppers make that much of a difference.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or should I consider a new mattress. It came in our 09 Cambria.
28 REPLIES 28

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a memory foam topper that felt great when I first laid down but by the end of the night I was tossing and turning. It would get soft where I was laying but stay firm right next to me so it felt lumpy if you moved at all, I then bought a Natural Latex 2" topper and that has been absolutely great. It is about 3 times heavier than the memory foam and it does not move. I put it under a thin quilted mattress cover.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
The "big" bed in our TT is the dinette table dropped and dinette cushions spread out. It is a bit lumpy, and not very soft. We got a 2" memory foam topper from Walmart and it is a HUGE improvement. It does not move around at all.

Having said that... if you are talking about a dedicated bed, I would look into just replacing the mattress with something better. Why bother with a topper? Just get a new mattress. Standard, memory foam, whichever you think will be best for you.

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
yes:Z

kmburns49
Explorer
Explorer
Yes!
-kfrog49

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
YES.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am blessed by the fact that I have an RV supplier here in town that does mattresses, cushions and drapes. So when I bought my current RV I went over there and they went through the benefits of all the foam and the toppers they carry (10 or 15 types). We worked out the best idea for the space that I have and in a couple hours they had cut the foam, restuffed the mattress and had a topper. They took a lot of time explaining the differences in foam and what each one does and what would be the best.

When I went to pick-up they were concerned that the way the mattresses and bases were made in the first was not right and they wanted to redo what they had done to remove a .5" difference in the height that I can not even see.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A topper greatly improved my RV mattress. It turned a lumpy, slightly pokey hard thing into a comfy place to sleep.

Memory foam can be cut very quickly with an electric knife (the turkey carving kind) and nearly as quickly with a serrated bread knife.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
A foam topper may not help a really soft bed. The mattress that came with our Greyhawk was hideous. It was so soft after a night or two it would have an indentation from where we slept. After a couple years, that indentation became permanent. We purchased a 4" memory foam topper and it did not help. The bed was just too soft.

Our bed is an RV Queen, so 60x74. Our bedroom slide closes right up against the bed, so we had to stick with a 74" long bed. As a previous poster mentioned, I really wanted to be able to test out the mattress before purchasing it and none of the local Mattress stores could guarantee that a custom cut mattress would be the same as what was on the showroom floor. We had a spare full size mattress in the S&B, so we used that instead. A full size mattress is 74" long. We lost a few inches in width, but having a mattress that can actually support us is much more important.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a quality memory foam topper for the TT, best purchase ever (cut to fit RV queen). We love it so much, we bought another for the house.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I can't talk about mattress toppers for the RV but I recently got one for my bed at home and have never slept better. I've got a really bad back and neck and the topper I got is a godsend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PH8ONBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 along with a pillow Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size. Both are on a 2 year old Sealey Mattress that I thought was very supportive before I got the topper.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use fitted sheets which you get your co_pilot to sew on longer elastic corner straps so the topper is secured in place to the mattress. We also fitted Ikea bed slats below the mattress and this improves comfort as well:)
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
For me thats one reason I don't travel much without an RV. I want to know what I am sleeping on. As for the toppers, some love them, me for one, and some don't. My son bought a high end topper for their bed but he has back issues and couldn't use it. It is now on our bed and we love it. We will have one in our next rv for sure.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES!!!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:
How do you keep a foam topper from shifting around?..

You don't. That's why we ended up tossing out the foam topper, the old mattress, and purchased a new mattress. When we sold the camper for our current one, we kept the new mattress and put back in the original, thinking we'd put the new one in the new camper. But, our Outback came with a really good mattress (unbelievable, but true), so the "old" new one ended up in the house and we replaced a mattress in the house. Still using it.

Moral of the story... forget the topper. They ARE a PITA, and get a real mattress that's comfortable.