cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dual pane side window shattered

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Went outside today to see that the drivers compartment upper side window is shattered.

It is the outer pane and looks like it was hit by a very small object but with enough velocity to completely spider the entire pc of glass. By coincidence, my neighbour 2 doors down has been killing time lately with a powerful pellet gun.
My concern is we are leaving in 2 days for a weeks holiday so I will have no time to get it replaced. Should I remove all the pcs of glass and rely on the inner pane only or should i apply something like clear packing tape over the glass to hold it from falling apart?
I think removing the glass makes the most sense. What do you think?
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s
10 REPLIES 10

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Get someone with a metal detector, to search the area & make sure theres no pellets on the ground.

If your insurance wont do anything, you can be sure that glass replacement wont be cheap.
Neil

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I had a neighbor break his while mowing. He heard what sounded like something small run through the mower, thought he heard it hit something else, looked and didn't see anything. He walked past it later and saw the drivers side living room window was shattered. You may never know what hit it.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Give ICBC a call ,assuming that who Your Comprehensive Insurance is with!
If You visit a Claim Center You will have Two Years. To have the Glass Replaced.
In Vancouver I suggest Boyd Autobody and Glass!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Is there an actual hole in the window where it's clear something hit it? Other things can cause tempered glass to break such as heat. And even if it is a heat break you'll be able to see where it started and fanned out, but there won't be a little chip where it's obvious something hit it.

Yes, there is a specific chip where something hit it.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2007 Yamaha YZ250F

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there an actual hole in the window where it's clear something hit it? Other things can cause tempered glass to break such as heat. And even if it is a heat break you'll be able to see where it started and fanned out, but there won't be a little chip where it's obvious something hit it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's sunday so I'll call a glass shop tomorrow.
I called the local police and they came to look and went and talked to the neighbour. The neighbour came over and talked to me. He says he would ever point the gun in this direction and the hole was too small to be from his gun. he says it would have went right thru the glass. it is very powerful. I believe him.
The only other possibility was that my nearest neighbour was having his deck rebuilt and maybe something flew out from the saw blade about 50 ft away.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2007 Yamaha YZ250F

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Remove as much glass as you can after taking photographs for insurance. Cover the window in plastic. Have a good time on the trip.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
The velocity of whatever hit it is not relevant other than something hit it hard enough to shatter it. It's tempered glass so if it breaks that's how it will break no matter what. You can use a center punch to easily break tempered glass and it's only a spring doing it. So although it may have been your neighbor's pellet gun, the fact that it shattered like that doesn't prove it. However, if it only broke one pain and not the other, and if it was the pellet gun, then there should be a pellet either stuck in the glass or laying on the ground close by.

If it were me I'd remove the broken glass and if you have to go without replacing it you probably can, but don't get into any rain. I would think water may be able to get inside your wall without the outter pain of glass there.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Start with a call to your insurance carrier. Most of the cost of glass may be covered. Also they will put you in touch with qualified glass shop to at least give you an appraisal and recommendation.

Not sure how you deal with the neighbor with the pellet gun. Have a conversation with him? talk to local law enforcement? ignore it and hope he doesn't do it again?
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I would call a glass shop and find out to do.