cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb Lighting Question

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace a ceiling light fixture (mini fluorescent) in my RV that's not working with a new one (can be led or whatever). I'm not too keen on electrical theory and am wondering what type of fixture I should get that will work with 12v and 110v. I see lots available for 12v but I'm not sure if they will work on 110V also. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh, ok that clears it up. Thank you DrewE and korbe!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
BOBS66440 wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
It's probably only 12 volt. Never heard of a 12/120 volt light.
All lights in my unit are 12 volt.
I guess this is where my confusion comes in. I have the house battery and start battery disconnected but have the shore line hooked up to an outlet in my garage (110v) and all the lights in the RV work. I assume there must be a voltage limiter somewhere to drop it down to 12v?

More or less. There's a device called a converter that is a 12V power supply; it serves to charge the house battery and to power 12V systems when connected to 120V power. It's not really a voltage limiter per se, which would be very inefficient and produce AC rather than DC output, but the concept is what you're thinking of.

In general, if you're plugged into 120V power, there's no good reason to disconnect the house battery. Many converters aren't designed to work (or at least work well) when there is no battery hooked up. It would be a good idea to periodically check the water level in the battery and top off as needed, assuming it's a flooded battery. (Some, mostly newer, converters will operate properly and produce clean 12V power without a battery connected.)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My converter converts 110 down to 12v so my 12v stuff still works while plugged into shore power and my battery is disconnected. I do have one light that is strictly 110 and it will not work while dry camping with only the battery powering things.

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I guess this is where my confusion comes in. I have the house battery and start battery disconnected but have the shore line hooked up to an outlet in my garage (110v) and all the lights in the RV work. I assume there must be a voltage limiter somewhere to drop it down to 12v?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lights are 12V and work equally well with 120V which uses the charger to keep the battery charged and lights working.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
There are no dual voltage fluorescent bulbs available; in fact, there won't be too many fluorescent bulbs around, period. They're now banned from US production &/or import, as of 1/1/17.

Go to LEDs now, and save yourself the trouble of conversion later.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV lights are 12v only. I've seen a few older RVs with 120v lights. I've never seen a dual voltage light.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE