cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 chassis no power from chassis battery

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
2005 F53 chassis with battery testing at 12.75 volts all the way to where it enters the main fuse box. When I turn on the ignition I get nothing, no lights, no buzzer, no gauges, nothing. I push the switch to start with the house batteries and it starts right up and everything works. All stuff running from the alternator I guess after engine is running.

Any idea what is going on that I can not utilize the chassis battery? Is there a main fuse or something that has blown?

Not stranded or anything but looking for help.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis
11 REPLIES 11

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
JayGee wrote:
Long time getting back to this but it was just a loose wire in the box

Glad you found the problem, thanks for the feedback

Safe travels
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Long time getting back to this but it was just a loose wire in the box
Jaygee

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for the informative input. Monday I'm going to dig into it again and see what I can find. I'll let you know.
Jaygee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have a chassis battery solenoid/relay? I would start there if you do. It should have 2 thick wires and 2 thin wires attached. You should read 12.7v on each side of the relay(thick wires) if not the relay is not energizing.

s79vette
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I had the same problem with our F53. there was 12 volts at all the panels so it was deceiving. 12 volts will pass through a wire as small as a hair as long as there is minimal current. on the frame rail behind the front pass. tire there is a 12 volt solenoid that has to energize to supply power to engine 12 volt panel and start system. mine had a loose cable on one of the posts so nothing would work but everything checked out good.
2003 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Ford V10 2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
Online with Inspiron
A member of

http://www.gsowners.com

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
My bypass switch would not reset, and I had to tap the switch with a small hammer while DW cycled the switch. Eventually we caught it at the right time and got it to energize.
Meanwhile, you should have an emergency start switch on the dash to start from the coach batteries. Once running, the alternator will power the bypassed circuits.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a bad fusible link at the starter solenoid.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would disconnect the ground cable from the house battery bank. This will ensure that you are not getting any feed back. It sounds like a loose ground or a relay sticking.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
The battery disconnect switches inside the coach were bypassed and replaced with another manual disconnect switch. I have checked power and confirmed that the power is coming from the switch and going into the control center box. After prowling around I found some additional info for anyone that might be interested in this thread.

info 1

I still have not solved my problem and am interested in any input that might help. Not gonna touch it again until tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies.
Jaygee

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
You probably already checked this but, do you have a chassis battery shut off switch? Mine is next to the house battery switch in the step well. Gets accidentally pushed frequently.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There are main fuses that supply power to separate fuse blocks. Check the fuses in the main fuse box. Do not just look, use a test light or meter.
Verify that the battery disconnect is operating. Cycle it to off then back on.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker