cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FMCA Michelin tire program issues

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
This past January I bought 6 new tires in Oregon on the FMCA Michelin tire program. The price was cheaper than dealers, so I bit. I should have researched it further--my fault--because FMCA said labor was extra but I thought it wouldn't be that much to worry about. My error--I think--. I paid $540 extra to have them mounted and balanced. When that was added I may have paid too much. I've been afraid to check on it further because it was my fault. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar awakening on it.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
41 REPLIES 41

Bruce_Brown
I'm sure glad we have a good local truck tire dealer. My suggestion to anyone would be to check with your local guys too before signing up for the FMCA program and finding the surprises later. It's always good to compare.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MarkieBob wrote:
This past January I bought 6 new tires in Oregon on the FMCA Michelin tire program. The price was cheaper than dealers, so I bit. I should have researched it further--my fault--because FMCA said labor was extra but I thought it wouldn't be that much to worry about. My error--I think--. I paid $540 extra to have them mounted and balanced. When that was added I may have paid too much. I've been afraid to check on it further because it was my fault. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar awakening on it.

That's not a ridiculous price, it's insane, as well as having to go with some kind of a program to get the tire price down from insane to ridiculous.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of getting new tires for my mh, have been quoted $77 per tire for removal of tires, mounting of new tires, new valve stems, balancing of wheels and disposal of old tires. This is same for 2 different dealers. My tires are 275/70/22.5 LR J.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my 315/80/22.5 Michelins through the FMCA fleet program my dealer charged me $50 per tire to mount & balance. I live in MT so no taxes involved. I feel you got ripped.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only paid 50 to mount one tire.. I agree your technician ripped you off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet the FET is in that number.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I paid a little under 300 for mounting and balancing 6 tires through the program. Bottom line was I saved a bit of money using FMCA program

JimR

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well at least you didnโ€™t pay tax in Oregon , Look at the bright side !!!! install isnโ€™t free but I think yours was a little high 300 bucks is normal so your only out a couple hundred and you saved that probably with the FMCA program. Just trying to look at the positive side. Good lesson to not just look at the โ€œtireโ€ price but the all in price.
The FMCA Michelin all in price was still way off from the Toyo price .. well over a thousand .. I just couldnโ€™t see it.
Bill

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
$90 per tire for mount and balance? WOW.

Are you sure that did not include state tax which is also clearly not collected through the FMCA/Michelin program?

But, both mounting/balancing and state tax would be exactly the same whether through the FMCA program or direct through the local dealer.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 4 rear tires for our Phaeton on a Freightliner chassis that were bought through the FMCA Tire Program installed for $220 including balance and mounting.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if anything else is learned, always check on the labor rate. Still though $540 for 6 tires mount and balance seems very high. Many smaller tire shops will have the jacks needed (basically bigger bottle jacks) and heavy duty impact wrenches to service a coach. What size tires?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that you would have had to pay the fees to mount and balance tires purchased from anyone? Normally that is a cost that is added to any tire purchase/installation. Additionally, you likely paid a tire disposal fee, that is unless you took the old tires with you.
2012 American Coach Revolution