cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Me Decide

trode
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a travel trailer and am seriously considering the move to a Class A gas motorhome, specifically I have come accross a 2006 Fourwinds Hurricane 31D it appears to be in great shape and very low miles.

Some questions for you all, owner tells me he gets 9 mpg, it is again, gas Ford v10. I am currently getting that with my truck trailer combo so no diff here for me, I tow with a Dodge Ram 1500 hemi. I am wondering about handlind too. I once drove a gas Class A home from a show for a friend who owns a dealership, it was a particularly cold, windy snowy night and I recall having my hands full keeping that one in my lane. Should I expect it to be any more difficult to drive than my truck with 30 foot trailer? Is it reasonable to expect to tow a compact car with that motorhome? Owners says that he often passes other motorhomes struggling up hills. I am thinking of towing something like a Nissan Sentra with a dolly. Tires is the next big concern, I religiously change my trailer tires every 5-6 years, regardless of mileage. Obviously with only 7000 miles on this there is little if any wear. The unit was stored inside for all but 6 mos of it's life, so tires are not exposed to sun or weather, I hope not to have to change them?

I would especially appreciate input from anyone who has gone from TT to Class A gas for perspective. What else do I need to know? Surprised when my insurer gave me rate on this unit, only about 200 more a year than I pay on my TT!!

Also - no leveling jacks on here per the owner, is that unusual? Would I be advised to put scissor jack on it, I know that is crucial on a TT, do motor homes not need stabilizing jacks?

Appreciate all input, thanks
9 REPLIES 9

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice the other one would have been a tough sale if you wanted to move up
2009 Challenger

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on your purchase! See you out there! ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the update. Sounds like you made a wise purchase.

The new shocks will help. I put Koni FSD's on my coach, and it really helped the ride over rough roads.

I've read several times that having the front axle heavily loaded on the ford chassis will improve the ride.

Enjoy your new motorhome.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

trode
Explorer
Explorer
update to topic - I bought, not the hurricane though, found a 2004 National RV Seabreeze 1304. 35 Foot, double slide, ford chassis. Have had it a few months now, made some changes fixed some issues. New stabilizer bar bushings, had tires trued and balanced, did "CHF" moved the front stabilizer bars to back holes, just received Koni shocks and will install this weekend. So far very happy with everything but the ride on moderately rough roads. Some annoying squeaks and rattles in dash and overhead cabinets that need to be addressed. Mileage so far 7.5 to 8 range. Same when towing towed, bought Chevrolet Malibu and tow four down, did not want to deal with dolly. That has worked out great, so far, so good.

Even did first WalMart overnight last trip!:)

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
X's 2 on the jacks. No jacks, no deal for me. Anyone gets up at night to use the bathroom and the RV shakes quite a bit.

Jacks were an option when I bought my RV. I am forever glad I got them.

The mileage of 9 without a tow vehicle is about what I got on my V-10. With a tow vehicle, 6-7.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' 06 Surf Side with the same engine. No problem with power or handling, but there are vast differences between brands, even when built on the same chassis. You do need to drive it under real world conditions and decide for yourself. As far as tires are concerned, mine has 10K and I am getting ready for new tires now even though the current ones "look" perfect. I am not too surprised that there are no jacks. In 06 they were an option on many A's. Scissors jacks on a class A are pretty much useless. Too much weight. I am quite surprised at the owner saying he averages 9 mpg. I believe you will find most folks will tell you will range between 6-8, be very happy with 9, and amazed when it goes over that.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.rvknowhow.com and read the Kieva's suggestions for how to select an RV based on livability not glitziness...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

safn1949
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 is a real beast for towing,lots of torque and horsepower. I would drive it down the road at speed to see how it handles before buying,also. the tires are getting old but have them looked at for cracking or dry-rot,better safe then totaled.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm surprised that the Hurricane doesn't have jacks. I would not own a mh without them. I'd look for another unit as scissor jacks on a mh? Never seen them. However, my 30Q has jacks and even when deployed when we move about there is movement.

Yes you will be able to tow a car with that unit.

You will get a lot of opinions about the tires. have them inspected. I suspect if they have been stored indoors out of the sun they have a few years left on them. Bit get them inspected.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT