cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with malfunctioning automatic RV step.

btim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 Entegra Class C with the single step which deploys when the coach door is opened. It has started failing to return to the stowed position when I close the coach door, even when I turn on the chassis ignition. This happens whether the step switch is turned on or off. Usually the step will return to stowed position after a few minutes. Sometimes not at all. I have lubed it and checked associated wiring and connections. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem and it was the pushbutton switch in the door, nothing wrong with the step itself. That is a common place and an easy check to make. My two connections on the switch were a bit corroded and I simply cleaned them and lubricated the plunger.

Also, often if you have the common push button mounted door switch like mine, the problem can be solved by simply rotating the push button with your fingers. Sometimes a slightly corroded connection just needs a little help. I twist mine a few turns every few months when I think about it just to prevent the problem.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

btim
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned the connectors, lubed everything, checked the wires and switch and checked the motor. No joy. Looks like it will be the controller. $150 on Amazon. Taking it to the dealer since it is under warranty.
Thanks again.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
TobeyYad wrote:
You might also want to check/test the door magnet.

That was where the problem was with mine. Cleaning/vacuuming and i must have hit the wire that connected to that device.

btim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll be crawling under there today to see what might help.

TobeyYad
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to check/test the door magnet.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There are two ground wires to most steps. One is for motor power and one for the control. Steps get a lot of road debris to their location. Clean both connections and apply good corrosion protection grease.
Make and model of step?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
That connector is the first that i would try. Clean it or replace it. Be careful when you re-connect it bc the step may move in/out. Try to kill your 12v power before connecting back up.
I use electrical grease on my connectors and zip-tie them to something solid to limit movement from bouncing.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I just had this problem late last year. Had to crawl under, disconnect the motor. It's a fairly standard connector -- find the small clip, push, and pull connector apart.

I found new assemblies on amazon to be the best priced. Will be ordering our new one in next week or so ... looks straightforward to install (3 bolts I think).

You will have to find your model number of the motor asy and go from there. ***NOTE: I'm talking about the motor/gear asy, not the whole step!!!!

I also searched here on RV.net and found many others having similar issue; they fail every so often. I don't like the whole design.