cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
So you don't really know how well it gets in fuel mileage if you were not there,, maybe they trumped up the mileage test to sell more rv,s....even folks that have bought the hybred autos are claiming that the FED mpg tests are way off,, [some are even 15 mpg off]..

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:
I was NOT there when they performed the tests BUT ......

if you think that "aero" does not play a larger part in fuel econ in any type of RV ....way way over and above the actual weight of the vehicle in most all driving conditions ......

Then I suggest you step-away from any and all of the hallucinations you are partaking in.

hallucinations, were at, just kidding

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
I was NOT there when they performed the tests BUT ......

if you think that "aero" does not play a larger part in fuel econ in any type of RV ....way way over and above the actual weight of the vehicle in most all driving conditions ......

Then I suggest you step-away from any and all of the hallucinations you are partaking in.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Are those the same tests they do today and post on new autos but no one actually gets those mpg,,, in every day driving your rv wont exceed 8 mpg fully loaded,, [not in a wind tunnel test that's not real world driving] many rv's out there would get well above 10 mpg in a wind tunnel test or the so called flat road no stop and 55 mph test by EPA with no extra weight,, what we are talking about here is everyday driving with hills, stops, heat and loaded....

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Kiki>>> 8 mpg is about all these old Dodge rv's can do with a carb, However Masterboondocker claims he know's how to get 12 -15 mpg with a 73 class A [413mtr] with a carb and no overdrive, only strange thing is he has not got it running yet,,,[maybe next year]..:B

But MACster .... my MH was designed in a wind-tunnel AND in doing so .... in a way-over-geared chassis ... loooow compression, truck cam PLUS a stone-age fuel delivery system....it still got in testing by several independent sources got OVER 10 mpg.

If I can NOT get another 3 to 5 mpg with legit UPgrades ..... compression, better gearing, high-tech cam and a better intake and carb ......

..... I will THEN buy a 20$ Holley TBI system from a swap meet !

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Kiki de los Feliz wrote:
Hi folks - I am the proud new owner of a 79 Dodge "Big Sur" Class C (I think it has a 330 engine). Does anyone own/know about/heard of one of these? She runs really well, has super low miles (32k), and has a pretty immaculate interior, but as with any vintage vehicle, I'm sure there'll be issues. I'm trying to figure out the fan system in front, as there is hot air leaking in around the engine cover. BTW, she came with her original manuals, if anyone needs that info. Thanks! - Kiki

Kiki ..... our FIEND from Vegas has checked in ...YET he really did not address your Q's. He is still HARPING on that wimpy 440 of his.... with that stone-age TBI.

Your MH ? ... it more-than-likely has a 318 or 360 in it. What does it say on the under-hood diagram ?

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
I get good gas on my American Clipper, with a 440, on a good day I can go to Sac on 50 bucks on gas and 50 on the way back, less hills. I love it but now after drive 60 mph, it want to stop, so now I am lost, maybe if I put my new full pump, iut might stop that, man I hope

jc

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Kiki>>> 8 mpg is about all these old Dodge rv's can do with a carb, However Masterboondocker claims he know's how to get 12 -15 mpg with a 73 class A [413mtr] with a carb and no overdrive, only strange thing is he has not got it running yet,,,[maybe next year]..:B

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Not the same rig probably. But very similiar to my old one. Not saying this is your problem, but I had to change the fuel tank on mine. Very fine rust scale inside kept clogging filters.... I do not have any documentation, never did. I can tell you that almost all the stuff is replaceable, both rv stuff and truck stuff. Find a good auto parts person who won't laugh when you say 73... It was really much higher quality then my 94 Tioga in just about every way.

Kiki_de_los_Fel
Explorer
Explorer
"It got 8mpg on a good day, and I expect nothing more form the RV. Other PW guys with 440's in teh same truck would get close 16mpg, so BB in the RV makes sence."

I think my ole gal has the smaller engine - I was told that would get better mileage than a 440, but I am not very mechanically versed. Can someone explain to me the difference?

Gracias,

Kiki

Kiki_de_los_Fel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks - I am the proud new owner of a 79 Dodge "Big Sur" Class C (I think it has a 330 engine). Does anyone own/know about/heard of one of these? She runs really well, has super low miles (32k), and has a pretty immaculate interior, but as with any vintage vehicle, I'm sure there'll be issues. I'm trying to figure out the fan system in front, as there is hot air leaking in around the engine cover. BTW, she came with her original manuals, if anyone needs that info. Thanks! - Kiki

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Hyp7

Check your fuel pump. If you're vapor locking, there's a good chance the problem could be a weak pump.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Watch OUT you TQ fans ..... our Mopar fiend from Vegas has just gotten IN from a late-nite drinking binge !

The ONLY way that a TQ will suffer from vapor-lock is if the intake is getting toasted from massive amounts of exhaust manifold heat. The same heat would MELT a Holley carb. And even a Holley TBI system !

Leeann you have it RIGHT .... so you have actually MET our LV member ?? ... !

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how well you get the TQ working it will still have vapor lock problems when it gets hot in late 70's vans and RV's, Put in a Holley TBI and your vapor locks will be gone for good and your fuel milage will increase... [ by the late 70's Mopar had to meet new epa smog laws and the TQ went thru changes and its quality went down ]

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
My vote for the Thermoquad too. I've had them on a bunch of cars and never had any problem.