cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack antenna sealant ?

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
I took off the old bat wing ( big oak branch got it ). and I'm installing Jack antenna . The old bat wing had a super tough silicone sealant stuff was hard but sealed great .Even took off some fiberglass it stuck so good . So I'm thinking nuflex 311 to seal the jack antenna I have a Fiber glass roof . and Im thinking dicor self leveling for the 2 front and rear seems that go side to side . can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track here . I have 4 inch bu-tel tape also but dont know if it works with fiber glass roofs .

1992 Itasca sunrise .

next summer I need to coat my whole roof as the fibers are showing now .
any input there be great . Thanks for any info on my project.

Itasca55
5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't mix caulking types. Dicor will not stick to more silicone sealants. While Dicor is the most used sealant, you want to make sure that you are using compatible sealants when re-caulking or re-installing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
royl wrote:
I use the Dicor self leveling sealant on anything on my roof. Always works great.

I had to use this bu-tel tube of sealant ( check spelling )
because I didn't have any dicor . Im going to put the dicor over the butel sealant I used . is there any problems mixing the 2 . this butel stuff was super super sticky. and sealed good ( I think its used on sky lights ). It cost more then the dicor . It was my only option at the time . Removing the old antenna it pulled up chuncks of fiberglass roofing.
they used silicone on oem antenna. I had a 3 inch oak branch hit the antenna so it ripped fiberglass roofing a bit . I was able to cover it with the new king antenna . But need to keep it sealed good now .

Itasca55

royl
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Dicor self leveling sealant on anything on my roof. Always works great.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You should put something under the Jack antenna and then use the Dicor to seal around it once it's screwed down.

Many here will jump in and say never use silicone on an RV, but many products are attached with silicone and then sealed with Dicor. The Winegard Travler antenna is a perfect example. You install it with a bead of silicone under the base and then seal with Dicor.

Side Note: I believe the Jack antenna only comes in black or white and can often stand out like a sore thumb on the roof. On my last one, I painted it to match my other roof equipment. I painted the base, not the actual wing.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my antenna and I used the dicor self sealing only on it. I have used the self sealing on my rubber roof on my gasser and now on my fiberglass roof. seals great for me.