Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee Step won't Retract

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

My Kwikee power step has stopped retracting. The motor runs and makes a clunking grinding sound for about 10 seconds but the step does not retract.

The motorhome is a 2011 Winnebago and the motor on the step was replaced just over a year ago.

Nothing looks out of place or broken, could it be binding or need lube.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
TAB1998 wrote:
Mine is a 1999 Allegro Bay with the Kwikee Steps (I think series 32)...it's a double step. I was having similar problems but I could help mine in. Finally two days ago it quit altogether. A little hum, a click and nothing. I read on another site that the left front window lift motor from a '86-'95 Ford Taurus would work. I went to my local AutoZone and they had one on the shelf for $42.99. I took my old motor/gear off the steps, swapped out the large gear from the old one to the new one, bolted it back in, cut and reconnected the wiring (same color wiring on both the old and new) and it came back to life. It fully retracts (which it hadn't done since I bought it) and fully extends. I don't remember the Autozone part number but it came with a Dorman label and part number 742-277. Hope that helps someone!

I tried the same thing, but it didn't fit. BUT - I thought it looked very familiar, so I asked to see a motor from a ford truck (I had just replaced the window motors in mine) and it fit! $29 vs $100+ for a "real" step motor. 2 years and it still works fine.
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs

royt911
Explorer
Explorer
My 96 Winnebago Adventurer steps don't go out or in all the way. I disconnected the motor to check the linkage. It starts out loose for a few inches then gets harder to push in until it is in all the way. Once in it comes out a few inches the again gets harder to pull until it is out all the way. Is that normal or should it be the same resistance all the way in and out?

A video I took:

https://youtu.be/5ZNzYeIq1Kw

TAB1998
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 1999 Allegro Bay with the Kwikee Steps (I think series 32)...it's a double step. I was having similar problems but I could help mine in. Finally two days ago it quit altogether. A little hum, a click and nothing. I read on another site that the left front window lift motor from a '86-'95 Ford Taurus would work. I went to my local AutoZone and they had one on the shelf for $42.99. I took my old motor/gear off the steps, swapped out the large gear from the old one to the new one, bolted it back in, cut and reconnected the wiring (same color wiring on both the old and new) and it came back to life. It fully retracts (which it hadn't done since I bought it) and fully extends. I don't remember the Autozone part number but it came with a Dorman label and part number 742-277. Hope that helps someone!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably stripped gears, but there may be a chance the motor came out of place and is not making good contact with the gears. It's worth looking at. If it is gears, hopefully you can have them replaced or machined.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
LB311: Might be exception ot the (your) rule....but my Kwikee steps are just fine after 15 years.

Now that I've said that..........

I spray with silicone maybe 3 times a year.

lb311
Explorer
Explorer
My Kwikee step was doing the same thing (loud, ratchety noise and steps would only partially close). I knew either the motor's plastic gear was stripped (highly likely), or the main linkage assembly metal gear was toast (less likely).

I found the Kwikee Service Manual PDF online and found the replacement motor for my particular step on Amazon for around $66 bucks. In less than 30 minutes, I was able to replace the motor myself and problem is now solved!

Here's the video of my repair: https://youtu.be/jJ4Rt5wJahU

I plan to buy another motor and keep it on hand. These motors tend to fail every couple of years (or more often if all the step joints and linkage pin are not lubricated frequently, or RV is not frequently used).
2007 Winnebago View 23J
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
http://winnieviews.blogspot.com

MrWizard
time to replace the gear box
i replaced both the motor and the gearbox on ours March 2015
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your main drive gear has broken teeth. You may be able to drop the motor and rotate that round gear in the gear housing past the broken tooth and it will still work. Doug

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like it is binding but the grinding sound might be the gears as you say.

I'll give it a look and see.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this always sounds so terrible to suggest...but take a hammer and tap the motor housing for the step a few times! Sounds Crazy but I did this for year's until finally replacing the motor and still, infrequently, I have to tap away to get the steps to retract.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
While you're at it, use compressed air or whatever it takes and clean all the joints well, then lubricate.
Maybe dirt and the lack of lubrication helped cause your problem?
It's good PM.

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the gears are stripped. Need to take it apart to check. Still under warranty ?
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.