cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwiki steps frozen?

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Went out to MH today to check it out. Temp around 20. Step would not come out - made noise like it wanted to, but did not. Happened once before when temp went to 30's it worked. Any ideas on the problem and how to fix? I silicone all parts regularly including the "bearings" on the rod that runs through from side to side. We have had a lot of snow with more on the way. Could moisture have frozen?
3 REPLIES 3

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
My steps are old and rusting. I use PB Blaster as a lubricant. That said, I'd be more inclined to believe, due to cold weather and winter hibernation, that your batteries are a little low in charge. I'd let it warm-up a bit and put a charger on the batteries before I'd worry about some mechanical issue.
Moisture freezing could also be contributing afterall, have you ever had a power window freeze in the "up" position? Same motor in use here.
It's been a long, cold winter and mechanical components may be a little bit cranky when trying to bring them back to life.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I use lithium spray grease on all the joints on my steps. Silicone does not really lubricate thoroughly and is not recommended by Kwikee. I am also not interested to see of my steps are working at these temps. Today it is warming up to +23.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible you have dirt in the joints of the steps.

I had a similar problem, but it didn't freeze. The steps didn't work properly. It was the dirt that collected in the joints. You can blow it out with compressed air, when (if) it ever warms up.

The dirt will attract moisture and, will freeze.