cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levelling Jacks Leaking

marbilupton
Explorer
Explorer
I have leaking levelling jacks on the front of my RV. I was told by Camping World technician that they need new seals. He said he called Kwikee and they no longer make these jacks and don't have the seals and I need to purchase new ones for $1,600 each. Any idea where I might be able to find some seals?
Retired Navy, 39 Years
2005 Winnebago Voyage 35D
2006 Honda Crv
Blue OX Alexus Tow Bar
Brake Buddy
25 REPLIES 25

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
what does that have to do with the OP asking where to get parts for his kwikee jacks??

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I know many here including Doug won't agree at all with me. I have a 2000 with hyd. levelers. I bought it this last November, 2016. My Southwind 32v with a slide has 109,000 miles now, when I bought it it had 104,000. From 2010 till 2016 it had 400 miles so it sat a lot.
A front and rear jack leaked enough that I had to add fluid after using them because the low level switch (jacks down) kept the alarm going while driving.

I was facing the same problem as you, spending loads to fix a stupid oil leak. My solution and it seemed to stop all leaking, ALL, was a 1/2 a quart of Lucas atf stop leak. My reservoir leaked down and I added 1/2 a Quart to top it off. I worked the jacks up and down many times while on trips, those 2 jacks still leaked, but, within 2 months ALL leaking quit. The rams all looked new from the start, I kept them clean and sprayed down With silicone. I leave the jacks extended on my concrete pad I had laid for the RV. I even cleaned the Jack pads and repainted them black. Zero leakage now. I never had to add another drop to the reservoir (so far).

Now some will say, "the jacks and their line is a closed system, it has no flow so the stop leak in the reservoir will never get to the jack". Whatever, mine stopped leaking, I spent a few dollars and something fixed it. The more I use the jacks, the better they seem to work.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
marbilupton wrote:
I have leaking levelling jacks on the front of my RV. I was told by Camping World technician that they need new seals. He said he called Kwikee and they no longer make these jacks and don't have the seals and I need to purchase new ones for $1,600 each. Any idea where I might be able to find some seals?

Before I would pay $1600 per jack, I would see about replacing the system with a HWH system. 4 jacks would be $6500. For 4 or 5 thousand CW can probably install an HWH system. You can buy the compete HWH basic system for $3200 from CW. Installation is extra. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
-Gramps- wrote:
If it is a small leak shooting the jack full of bearing/axle grease should fix it, it did mine, which happens to be a Power Gear jack. There should be a grease fitting on the housing just above the leg opening. You will need a grease gun to do this.

Powergear jacks with the Grease zirc are NOT for filling the jack full of grease. Injecting Grease in that Zirc will NOT inject grease into the jack. All it does is grease the lower seal. IF that lower seal is the source of the leak, adding grease to that seal will not stop the leak. The systems operate at 3000 psi. That will overcome any grease. Doug

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
Google bearing suppliers near you.
Almost all bearing suppliers handle seals, they will be able to match it up with no problem.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a small leak shooting the jack full of bearing/axle grease should fix it, it did mine, which happens to be a Power Gear jack. There should be a grease fitting on the housing just above the leg opening. You will need a grease gun to do this.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
my experience:

PowerGear. One of my jacks started leaking. According to PowerGear, that particular model (original...2001) was NOT "rebuildable"...altho I'm sure the parts needed are available if you want to research...and have the time. Unfortunately, I did not.
Powergear will NOT sell you a new unit. You must go thru an RV dealer or a registered shop. (An extra 100 bucks for a free phone call I could make?) Anyway...the replacement jack was PowerGear # 500384HR....which, according to their chart, IS rebuildable. $684. I replaced it myself. I had to borrow a 200psi air compressor, plus a Snap-on impact gun (my 125 psi unit and Harbor Freight unit were simply not up to the task)to do the job. Even then, I had to grind off one of the bolt heads. New super-hard hardware from Grainger and there it was. I still have the original...maybe i will get around to finding the parts.

((Edited to say:......) I cannot find a shop anywhere near me that is even remotely interested in any rebuild. All they do is supply hydraulic hoses and fittings. I am aware that if I DO find one, and they tear it down and find ANY defects in the chrome piston, it will still cost me bucks for the tear-down and I would have to buy a new jack anyway.

All this...for FWIW and good luck.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found some seals for my HWH jack's at a local Transmission shop, of course it wasn't leaking from the seal's I replaced...Oh well.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
marbilupton wrote:

still some seal kits available
http://www.rvpartsinc.com/Kwikee-800129S-Jack-Seal-Replacement-Rebuild-Kit-500082HR-500235H-500498H-RV-Parts.html

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Google then call a few hydraulic shops.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try a hydraulic repair shop that works on industrial equipment. The seals, if not the complete cylinders, are likely fairly standard items that Kwikee bought, not something they made.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate