cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe a bargain, maybe a nightmare, but it's FREE!

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on another board https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4382764413.html. The price is right if it's still there. Ad is 3 days old now. (And if you end up with it, don't blame me! ;))

Jim, "Strong, like a bull. Smart, like a fence post."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')
13 REPLIES 13

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Its_Hondo wrote:
Have the seller send you the VIN & run it past the local Sheriff to see if it is stolen.

Excellent thought. No point in spending $$ & time getting it running or having it towed home if you're going to have to surrender it.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Have the seller send you the VIN & run it past the local Sheriff to see if it is stolen.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The front is a window. Born Free stopped putting the window in several years ago because of problems with leaks.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggest problem I see is "no title." The CL ad says "title clean" but the text indicates "abandoned on property."

Without the help of a "fixer" it could be difficult-to-impossible to Title/Register/Tag this thing.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Born Free.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
If you could come up with a title as suggested I could jump on that if local. That is a perfect size RV for a lot of things. It was no el cheapo either for its looks.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
Yep, the guy who posted it where I found it thought it was a Born Free, as well.

Does anybody know if that black on the overcab is a tinted plastic window, or just black paint? If it's plastic / plexiglass, I wonder if BF has replacements still available and at what $$ if it cracks.

That would be the first obstacle I could see to a low-bucks DIY fix-up. I've seen a couple of old Sunraders Toyotas here in the SE mountains with really f'ugly rough DIY fiberglass replacing smaller curved but no-longer-available plexi cabover windows.

Jim, "Life: The whim of several billion cells getting together and deciding to be 'you' for a while."

born free started painting the front window at some time. that was sort of their logo or id thingy. don't know the year.
bumpy

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the guy who posted it where I found it thought it was a Born Free, as well.

Does anybody know if that black on the overcab is a tinted plastic window, or just black paint? If it's plastic / plexiglass, I wonder if BF has replacements still available and at what $$ if it cracks.

That would be the first obstacle I could see to a low-bucks DIY fix-up. I've seen a couple of old Sunraders Toyotas here in the SE mountains with really f'ugly rough DIY fiberglass replacing smaller curved but no-longer-available plexi cabover windows.

Jim, "Life: The whim of several billion cells getting together and deciding to be 'you' for a while."

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a Born Free coach
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
poncho62 wrote:
Great for parts.

Or, a restoration project.

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Great for parts.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
No, my 1983 Jamboree has round lights. That definitely looks like an 83 nose.

I agree on the shell. That looks like a great starting point. The huge glass piece on the nose is cool looking, but would definitely need some serious attention. It's a huge, potential water leak.

The 460 drive train is rock solid. I would jump on that if I didn't have mine already.

Jose

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That actually looks like a nice fiberglass shell, instead of the typical sticks and foil construction back then.

Pretty sure the chassis is older though. I think '79 was the last year for round headlights.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST