cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multiple Keys

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
In who's infinite wisdom did it make sense to design a coach to have separate keys for the cabin door, storage bins, gas-fill door, potable water-fill door and the driver's door? As a new coach owner, it's quite comical watching me trying to figure out which key fits where.... ๐Ÿ™‚
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
12 REPLIES 12

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same situation. I color coded the door key and the dead bolt key so I could tell the difference. I also scribed each key with where they go. DB, dead bolt Door for the main door lock; store for the basement. Works well.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see...1 for ignition, (GM which Monaco uses), one for door, one for deadlock, one for luggage doors, one for the diesel fuel doors, one soda machine key to get to AC condenser and LCI jack motors and a keyless entry fob which works only on the door (not the deadlock)
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

petef
Explorer
Explorer
I have 6 on my new RV, 1 for ignition, 2 for door, 2 for outside storage compartments and one for the locks on the engine cover.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has 4: One for the ignition, one each for the two locks on the entry door, one of which also fits the storage lockers and the gas cap and the 4th for the rear engine grill.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one key opens everything, then you have no way to protect anything when the coach is in for service. Think about that, then ask if anyone has had something stolen from his coach while it was being serviced.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
I think the answer is that motorcoach manufacturers get their doors, storage doors, etc. from a variety of manufacturers and each manufacturer has their own lock source. No sense in going into how thieves don't pay any attention to them anyway, they just tear open the compartments, etc.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
Find out what key fits what and paint lock and key same color problem solved-We bought the 8 pack of paint colors and dabbed some paint on lock and key unless it had a colored cover- works fine and I made 5 sets of everything-one in tow car-one under MH -one at home -and two sets in MH-Why one at home? in case I lose all the others I still have a set that can be duplicated

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to know I'm not the only one!! I'll figure out some system to remember what key goes where.....right now they have colored covers on them and to my knowledge, even the previous owners didn't know what color went where either... LOL!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
They do that so if you lose one....you can borrow your next door neighbors to get you in....:B...I only have two, on for the deadbolt and one for the door....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
I had one key that I could not find what it fit. After many weeks I found where it fit. It was the screen door. Kind of useless because you can just slide that little door open and reach in and unlock the screen. Oh well so many keys and how to remember what goes where has been my problem.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
New Winnebago. One key. In my 2012 it was three .

blw2
Explorer
Explorer
oh, i'm pretty sure that would be the accountant at the manufacturer.
I actually have two keys just for teh entry door!
In my little pop-up I had two keys! & it's closed up with velcro!!!

I have the same frustration..... we all likely do.
I'll bet it would cost something to key everything alike. I wish there was an easy solution. A modification I would strongly consider for sure!

Also, did you know that my storage key will fit yours?