cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie ClassA questions - Stacker trailers

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old fart, been on RVNet almost 20 years, I've had virtually every type of RV, except Class A. Right now I have the setup in my sig, F450, large 2-slide TC, towing a 24' cargo trailer.

I'm considering jumping to a very specific configuration, and would like some input from those who have it. I'm looking to go with a minimal length Class A diesel pusher, but specifically, also want to tow a triple axle 24-26' stacker 13'6 high trailer for toys. I'm already 56' long with my current set up, would like to stay under 60' if possible.

For those who have one --
* How does a stacker trailer tow in crosswinds?
* What HP do you recommend?
* What MH chassis's would I want to avoid for this?
* I would want a smaller Class A, 36' or less, is that advisable or does the trailer weight necessitate a larger one?
* Do I need to go big on the MH, with a tag axle?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
20 REPLIES 20

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree - you need to go to a Super C. To figure out if the coach can pull the trailer:

GCWR - GVWR = what you can tow
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Super C definitely, my rig is rated to tow 30k.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm picking up here that there is a design/towing difference between a Super C and a Class A? A Super-C would be better for what I'm thinking?

Weight - I'm looking at the triple axle's for stability and for weight. Either 6k or 7k per axle. My current trailer is 6k x2. Also looking at aluminum framed trailers for weight. Empty weight of the trailers I'm looking at is ~6500ish, and either 18k or 21k total GVW. I plan on roughly 10k in cargo - 4-door Jeep Wrangler, Can Am side by side, Harley, dirt bike, and misc tools/stuff.

My current trailer is regularly at 10-11k. I have a DOT scale just up the street I hit regularly.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Newmar 35’ with a 10k tow rating, and the GVWR and GCWR to support it.

I expect a stacker with a vehicle and toys will be well over 10k unless you choose the contents carefully. I’d start with getting an accurate estimate of your anticipated trailer weight.

I expect the math will lead you to a big tag axle coach, or a super C. There’s plenty of supers with 20k or more tow rating.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might, when you get a idea on the weight of the trailer, think about a class 8 based "C", unless you just must have a rear engine.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
I'm an old fart, been on RVNet almost 20 years, I've had virtually every type of RV, except Class A. Right now I have the setup in my sig, F450, large 2-slide TC, towing a 24' cargo trailer.

I'm considering jumping to a very specific configuration, and would like some input from those who have it. I'm looking to go with a minimal length Class A diesel pusher, but specifically, also want to tow a triple axle 24-26' stacker 13'6 high trailer for toys. I'm already 56' long with my current set up, would like to stay under 60' if possible.

For those who have one --
* How does a stacker trailer tow in crosswinds?
* What HP do you recommend?
* What MH chassis's would I want to avoid for this?
* I would want a smaller Class A, 36' or less, is that advisable or does the trailer weight necessitate a larger one?
* Do I need to go big on the MH, with a tag axle?

weight is your issue. what will the loaded trailer weigh? for purposes of illustration let's just say that's 10,000-lbs. once that is known you will need a MH with all of these factors:

- the MH must, at a minimum, have a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) at least 10,000-lbs more than the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). this assumes that whatever MH you purchase will be loaded to the max weight. but remember, you need to know the weight rating and actual weight on each axle (gross axle weight rating or GAWR). it is possible to be at or under the GVWR and still be overweight on an axle.

- the MH must have a hitch receiver AND a tow bar rated for 10,000-lbs. tow bars rated thar high are common. hitch receivers rated for 10k are *usually* but nit always found on larger motorhomes.

remember, 10,000-lbs in this post is just an example. your actual loaded trailer may weigh 5000 or 15,000 pounds. do the math and shop carefully. don't assume.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle