cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over cab storage

Davion206
Explorer
Explorer
When you are on the road and you do not use the over the cab bunk for sleeping, do you remove the pads and store "stuff"? How do you anchor so it stays put? Thanks.....
2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 260ds
2016 Colorado 4x4
Ed and Joyce and Luci Lou
22 REPLIES 22

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I store up there goes atop the mattress. Mostly light but bulky stuff.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
clicky

I trust this pic will display. My cargo net, etc.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Here is a photo of my cab-over space with the fence around it. It is carpeted and nothing moves around in it. It's also not an eyesore, at least not to us. We could pull the curtain, on the right, closed to hide the contents, but we don't bother.

The mattress is stored in our house until we sell the RV, someday.

Ours has the cutout also but we leave it in for more storage space.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
clicky
Dakzuki wrote:
We converted ours to a storage area. We removed the mattress, carpeted it and made a cargo net that stretches across to keep stuff from jumping out. It clips to loops in the ceiling and base. It all can be converted back if needed just by disconnecting the net and tossing the mattress assembly back in.

Mine came with a Cargo net (2nd Owner), I guess to keep young'uns from falling out. We use it for storage and leave the mattress in.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a light 5โ€™ aluminum ladder up there. The area between the steps is great for putting things in and they do not slip around. Five feet is just right to lean against mattress when it is in place for sleeping in the cab over. The grandson thought it was a cool set of steps to get into bed.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a photo of my cab-over space with the fence around it. It is carpeted and nothing moves around in it. It's also not an eyesore, at least not to us. We could pull the curtain, on the right, closed to hide the contents, but we don't bother.

The mattress is stored in our house until we sell the RV, someday.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ThePowells
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was built with that space being used for cabinets and storage, even behind the flat screen.

tote
Explorer
Explorer
I throw everything in the top bunk. A 2'' memory foam pad over the mattress and a fitted sheet over both keeps them clean.
No issues with things moving around. Most everything is in some sort of duffle bag.
My dive gear, archery gear, fishing gear..whatever I am using the motorhome for....gets stored up top.
Since it's a 20' motorhome with a bed in the back there isn't many other places for storage. One nice thing is I don't have to bend over to get at anything.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Had originally wanted to use the upper area for an extra bed, but always seem to have extra stuff that ends up there. Now that the cats are traveling with us, their litterbox ended up there. They love playing up there and looking out the windows.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Davion206 wrote:
On ours, the mattress section directly over the seats is all one piece. So when we removed it, it leaves an open area. Maybe all c-class rv's are like that. Guess it will make moving from the cab to the back easier when in motion. We are noobies to this mh stuff!!! Thank you all for your suggestions and "Merry Christmas"

Yes thatโ€™s normal but you donโ€™t have to cover the โ€œholeโ€ overhead for privacy, just the vertical opening you walk through. At least thatโ€™s the way mine works. From outside you canโ€™t see the hole.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Davion206
Explorer
Explorer
On ours, the mattress section directly over the seats is all one piece. So when we removed it, it leaves an open area. Maybe all c-class rv's are like that. Guess it will make moving from the cab to the back easier when in motion. We are noobies to this mh stuff!!! Thank you all for your suggestions and "Merry Christmas"
2016 Colorado 4x4

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Davion206 wrote:
MobileBasset, great idea, thanks. Now, what do you have for a privacy curtain. Ours velcros to part of the matress. When we removed it, I'm trying to figure what to use. We have the exterior windshield cover and for a quick fix, we use reflectix cut to fit on the inside.

I have a thick felt like material that snaps across onto the wood side structures. After 4 years the snaps are ripping out of the felt and my plan is to make a curtain rod -the cafe curtain type - that will be mounted, with itโ€™s curtain, to one of the side structures and can slide open across the opening and rest in a hook on the other side. The curtain will then slide out along the rod. I have a windshield cover also but have never used it. I mean to use it but It seems like a bother.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
We converted ours to a storage area. We removed the mattress, carpeted it and made a cargo net that stretches across to keep stuff from jumping out. It clips to loops in the ceiling and base. It all can be converted back if needed just by disconnecting the net and tossing the mattress assembly back in.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Davion206
Explorer
Explorer
MobileBasset, great idea, thanks. Now, what do you have for a privacy curtain. Ours velcros to part of the matress. When we removed it, I'm trying to figure what to use. We have the exterior windshield cover and for a quick fix, we use reflectix cut to fit on the inside.
2016 Colorado 4x4