Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a Nissan Altima

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2003 Winniebago Minnie Winnie 29B I have owned it for almost 2years
The original owner pulled a trailer with antique cars on it.
We have just inherited my Mother in Law's 2003 Nissan Altima.
It is a automatic I know a tow bar would be the best way to pull it but to spend $4k for a tranny pump doesn't seem economical.
What would be best a dolly or a trailer?
The Altima weighs 3100 LB the hitch is rated at 3500 LB would I be in towing trouble?
Does anyone have experience pulling with my model or close Winnebago?
Has anyone towed a Nissan Altima?

Chae
6 REPLIES 6

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Thanks!

I will have to check the ratings again on my hitch.
I know all too much about the overhang. I am glad I am a former truck driver.
I can see pulling a Ranger would be a whole lot like pulling a Altima
Putting on a heavier hitch isn't a problem. I was worried about the weight ratio.
I was also worried about pulling the RV apart.
I know the original owner was pulling a Model T around with a car hauler going to car shows.
The RV seems to have held up but I have wondered about something chronic showing up because of it..

Chae

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
2004 29B, hitch was up-rated that year to 5000 pounds but still 350 limit on tongue weight.

I now flat tow a manual transmission Honda Fit (about 2500 pounds).

Before that flat towed a manual transmission 2001 Ford Ranger (regular cab Edge trim, about 3200 pounds). The Ranger was heavy enough to push around this RV on very tight curves (e.g. marked 15-20 mph) if I tried to take them close to the marked speeds. 29B model has a very long rear overhang in proportion to the wheelbase, you have to tow gently.

Your only realistic option for towing that particular car is a dolly, unless you can upgrade the hitch. Putting a 3100 pound car on a trailer will exceed ratings for tongue weight and leverage weight off the front axle, and the 29B is already too light on the front end with normal loading.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
I check on what I would have to do to flat tow.
Between a transmission pump brake kit and tow bar I would be paying as much as the car is worth to prep it for flat tow.
So the question is now Dolly or Trailer.
I know it's about 50/50 on RVs pulling trailers and a dolly.
Who has had experience pulling with that year and model of Winniebago?
Or it doesn't make that much difference.

Chae

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
If its an auto I dont think it can be flat towed, As to towing FWD vehicles many do and I do but ours is a manual trans that can be. The murano as you noted cannot be towed but has to be trailered.

Weight the car to know what it does weigh and yes you can get a tow dolly fairly cheap used or at CW. Check craigs list for used stuff do not buy new if avoidable as you will take the hit to sell. When you check CL use an expanded search to near by states also. Measure the tire width outside to outside, then add the fenders to know which one you need. Several have posted before about buying only to find it too narrow, one with surge breaks would be nice.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Between the dolly and trailer I'd opt for the dolly. Less overall weight being towed and less tongue weight on your motorhome. Since you'd be pushing right up against your hitch capacity I would visit a good hitch shop (not Camping World or Uhaul) and discuss options for possibly increasing hitch capacity. Depending on your motorhome chassis, frame extensions and other factors you may or may not be able to upgrade your hitch.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Altima's are all front wheel drive. I am almost positive you cannot flat tow a front drive vehicle. I owned an Altima and we also own a Murano. I was going to buy a tow dolly for the Nissan's but decided it would be a better choice to just buy a Jeep Rubicon.

I personally would not attempt flat towing a front drive vehicle. JMO
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd