cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I consider older diesel pusher?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm not sure if I pasted the link correctly. What do you think of this rig? Looking for something that is comfortable to take family on long road trips. Any idea on reliability or mpg?

1998 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN EAGLE 40' DIESEL PUSHER BUNKHOUSE

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvd/4838621051.html
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
29 REPLIES 29

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Somebody tell me where you can get one of these in good condition for $15-20K and I am on the plane. I have been watching these for awhile now and you would be hard pressed to buy a 30ft gasser for $15K in any kind of condition let alone a 40ft American Eagle DP with a slide-----dreamers! This isn't a Bounder.

X2 I would be buying them and reselling. I just sold my 1994 33L PaceArrow non slide gasser for $11,500.00

* This post was edited 01/16/15 09:42am by peaches&cream *

Why edit your post? Guess you saw how wrong you were. That deal wasn't so peachy.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if you guys want to embrace nada, go for it. Old coach, cash offers are hard to find, if one is borrowing the dinero, an old coach isn't in the mix.
Smart is subjective, and I wonder how much of that is found here since I see little respect for metal.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
you asked "should I consider older diesel pusher? "

The answer is a definite yes! For this age coach I think the main thing to look for is service records. People are throwing all kinds of off the wall prices out there. It's worth what ever you are willing to pay for it. The coach itself looks good in the pictures and if after driving it you like it, spend the money to have it checked out by an expert then, make your decision. Personally I like it and if it checked out good I would start negotiating. Naturally you start so low you are being obnoxious and work up from there.

Remember what ever you offer they won't offer it lower, and never never be afraid you will be offending them!
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Two things I would look at, one would be the roof, it may be rubber and past being in excellent condition, depending on where and how it was stored and used. Another thing would be the ball joint boots. They were a problem on the
Spartan chassis, but not sure the problems went back that far. Would not hurt to check though. Mileage should be in the 7.5 to 8.5 range cruising between 62 and 65 unless loaded really heavy. American builds a good coach. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Somebody tell me where you can get one of these in good condition for $15-20K and I am on the plane. I have been watching these for awhile now and you would be hard pressed to buy a 30ft gasser for $15K in any kind of condition let alone a 40ft American Eagle DP with a slide-----dreamers! This isn't a Bounder.

X2 I would be buying them and reselling. I just sold my 1994 33L PaceArrow non slide gasser for $11,500.00

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Hohnstein wrote:
25k, maybe.

Hmmm your 1983 BB books out at about $8,500.00 would you sell for that? Their is more to it when they get up on years. It's all about condition and maintaince.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

2015 Wrangler JKU

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
A late 90's high end coach like that for $20,000 I would run away from unless I knew the seller. That same coach in the $45,000 range that was maintained I would consider all day long.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
$25,000 is dreaming. NADA says:
1998 American Eagle

M-40EVF (325hp)

TOTAL PRICE: $252,840 $18,950 $22,850

I would offer $15,000 and negociate from there.

And they'd say that you were dreaming because this is a M-40EV

S

-- the "S" is for "slide out". Notice that there's a slide out in one of the ad's photos.

The online NADA values on a M-40EVS are a bit higher:

Low Retail = $43,450
Average Retail = $52,350

I think the dealer has still priced the RV too high. If you're playing cash, you should definitely be able to get it for less. Just be prepared to walk away.

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
I feel the price is too high. For what they are asking you can find a newer motorhome. Granted the motorhome you are looking at is very unique in that it has bunkbeds which may not have been original but added by a previous owner. I looked at American Coach's website and they only had brochures back to 1999. They did not show a bunkbed option.

If you have to have the bunks then make them an offer. But look at all the dealership offerings to get an idea of prices here in the Northwest.

Good luck.
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
$25,000 is dreaming. NADA says:
1998 American Eagle

M-40EVF (325hp)

TOTAL PRICE: $252,840 $18,950 $22,850

I would offer $15,000 and negociate from there.

And they'd say that you were dreaming because this is a M-40EV

S

-- the "S" is for "slide out". Notice that there's a slide out in one of the ad's photos.

The online NADA values on a M-40EVS are a bit higher:

Low Retail = $43,450
Average Retail = $52,350

I think the dealer has still priced the RV too high. If you're paying cash, you should definitely be able to get it for less. Just be prepared to walk away.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
People talking about 20,000 for this vehicle are to low. The slide adds to the desirability for most people (read that as added sale price), I don't have one and do not miss the problems that come with them.

I paid 42,000 for our 97 American Dream, with 65,000 miles, 40 would have been about right.

The Eagle is one step up from the dream and is a very nice coach.

If it has had good maintenance on the chassis (ask for records or that is an negotiation) the miles are fine.

What you have to be prepared for is the "small" stuff Refrigerators, A/C, Heat, Hot Water, etc, be sure to check each unit.

My biggest problem has been finding quality people to work on my unit. I haven't. I am now committed to doing it myself.

For a feeling on what that means see my projects

If you do not like what you see when you look close walk away, there are a number of quality older coaches out there looking for a new home.

If you pay 20,000 there will be too much wrong with it otherwise the owner will want more money. 40,000 is a reasonable price.

The bunks take up a lot of room, if you don't need them look for a floor plan without them.

Our coach is 39 feet long, and most of the time it is just the two of us. The couch folds out for guesses when we have them.

As far as power goes, I pull a 10,000 pound trailer (that is a whole other debate) with my 325 HP engine which is just fine. Not sure what people are doing with the 600HP rigs they are buying today. On long steep grades I get down to 45 MPH but and still passing tractor trailers. Driving faster that 65 MPH in a soft sprung coach is never racking.