cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower Drain Connection

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know exactly how the shower drain connects through the shower floor to the drain-trap pipe?

In case you haven't read about my tire blowout, it was the tire directly beneath my shower floor and it consequently caused the floor drain to break by hitting underneath the drain trap and forcing it upwards. It does not appear to have broken the pipes or the shower floor when it hit, but it did push up hard enough on the drain trap to break off the flange that connects the drain through the shower floor and I cannot see how it was connected. Is it a threaded connection like in a residential shower drain? Or was it glued?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
5 REPLIES 5

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
10forty2 wrote:
Follow-up to the shower drain repair. I ordered the part from PPL. I went ahead and ordered the drain and trap combination that they offered to make sure that I had the part in case the trap was actually cracked. Turns out it wasn't, so I have extra for the future.

The shower drain screwed right in and tightened up with new gaskets really nicely. Turns out there was an access grate right at the base of the shower pan near the floor on the outside of the shower. Took that off and it gave god access to the trap and drain connections. Easy fix in case anyone else experiences a broken shower drain....don't be intimidated by the possibility of doing it yourself. All total... about $15 for the part and maybe 10 minutes time to screw it in.

Fantastic and thanks for letting us know about the repair.At an RV shop that would probably be a $150 repair. Good job!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Follow-up to the shower drain repair. I ordered the part from PPL. I went ahead and ordered the drain and trap combination that they offered to make sure that I had the part in case the trap was actually cracked. Turns out it wasn't, so I have extra for the future.

The shower drain screwed right in and tightened up with new gaskets really nicely. Turns out there was an access grate right at the base of the shower pan near the floor on the outside of the shower. Took that off and it gave good access to the trap and drain connections. Easy fix in case anyone else experiences a broken shower drain....don't be intimidated by the possibility of doing it yourself. All total... about $15 for the part and maybe 10 minutes time to screw it in.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
mine is a screw on connection

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Found this on PPL: Shower Drain

Gotta get some measurements and hopefully it will solve my problem.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my coach, there is a screw on type drain cover/screen that attaches the shower base to the drain pipe. This drain screen attaches to a piece that is glued to the rest of the pipe going to the grey tank.
In other words, if I unscrewed the screen, I could theoretically lift the shower off of the drain pipe. I do not have any access underneath to pull the drain line away from the shower so I would have to figure out a way to remove the shower to make repairs underneath the base.