cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smog Test Mystery

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been taking our 2004 Tioga 26Q to the same smog test only shop for a number of years. Each time the Asian technician tells me that it did not pass the test, but that he would get it to pass, (and he does it). I am the original owner and the engine/smog equipment has not been modified. I recently had the engine properly tuned up by a respected garage. I ask him what causes the test failure. He mumbles in a thick accent that the engine might not have been warmed up enough on the way to the shop, or that the catalytic converter may not be working properly.( no specifics) BTW, the rig has only some 11 thousand original miles

I wonder if others have had similar experiences with smog testing on the same E-450 engine.
23 REPLIES 23

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most common reasons for failure

• Engine not hot enough (should come right off of a 30 minute highway drive and into the test)
• Dirty oil
• Dirty air filer
• PCV valve not working

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
" Note: you might actually spend the extra money and have it tested by another shop before you need the smog cert -"

Why? Test only shops are just that. The man is a scammer and should be reported. Just like the jiffy lube type shops, they always say you need a new air cleaner at 3x the cost of an auto parts store then you need a brake flush, engine flush, trans flush which are all unnecessary and damaging to the transmission.
My friend Jerry had a trans shop for 35years. His volume increased once trans flushes became popular. Drop the pan and filter and refill. Or get that "piece of mind" thing and end up having it rebuilt, you choose. And don't forget that extended warranty....:R

First, we don't even know if he was charging for the fix. It may have been something as simple as letting the engine warm up first. Those don't equate to a scammer, just a smart tech who is saving the OP time and money.

Second, my suggestion of having the vehicle tested elsewhere before the test is required is in the case the vehicle is failing the test and the tech was pulling some sort of fraud with the DMV. I'd hate to take it to another shop at registration time and find out it needed a lot of work to pass legally. Doing it early would give me time to budget out any repairs.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
What part of the test did it fail? Have you had your oil changed recently? Always a good idea before the smog test if it needs it.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
" Note: you might actually spend the extra money and have it tested by another shop before you need the smog cert -"

Why? Test only shops are just that. The man is a scammer and should be reported. Just like the jiffy lube type shops, they always say you need a new air cleaner at 3x the cost of an auto parts store then you need a brake flush, engine flush, trans flush which are all unnecessary and damaging to the transmission.
My friend Jerry had a trans shop for 35years. His volume increased once trans flushes became popular. Drop the pan and filter and refill. Or get that "piece of mind" thing and end up having it rebuilt, you choose. And don't forget that extended warranty....:R

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question: does he charge you extra to get it to pass?

If not, then I wouldn't worry. It may be as he says and he just warms up the engine. I would doubt the cat issue as the engine tune up should have caught that.

If so, then I would ask for details on what he is doing and would look for a different shop. Note: you might actually spend the extra money and have it tested by another shop before you need the smog cert - that way if it is failing, you have time to figure it out.

One buddy of mine had a dodge 440 class c. His failed due to the timing. When it was tuned up for performance, it would fail the smog. So he would adjust the timing before he took it for the test and change it back afterwards.

I do like that my 1975 doesn't need to worry about smog.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
This shop/man is a fraud. Go someplace else and report him. What he is telling you is nonsense. I took my "C" to the pyramid looking place on Grand and LaVeta and was always an easy smog. Also i always disputed the motorhome extra fee as basically they are smogging a Ford pick up. Now IF they remove the doghouse then they will charge extra. Why they have to remove it puzzles me. Anyway, go to a legitimate shop, this one isn't.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
He told you what it was.......Next time, drive it around to warm it up.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
What has the smog test have to do with the technician being "Asian"?

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I think that I would be looking for another shop to test it. A test only shop is not supposed to do any repairs. Test only! I have never had any work done on my V-10 with about 56000 miles and hardly has any emissions on the smog printout. Also if it fails I believe that they have to tell the state why it failed and what they fixed to pass. It should also be on your printout. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH