Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

new_class_a
Explorer
Explorer
Tire replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

I'm told its time to replace the tires on my 2007 38 ft Fleetwood Expedition even though there is only 18000 miles on the Goodyear G670 RV 225/70R22.5 on the rig. I have several questions I am considering changing to Michelin Tires since the out the door price for all 6 is $1000 cheaper than the Goodyear along with the fact a few of my friends say the ride on the Michelins is much smoother. Is the Michelin tire as reliable as the goodyear and will it work on my rig.I have read a couple of other forums where there was concern for the early year Michelins but found nothing very current. I am going to be heading to Yellowstone in June and do not want to take a chance on the old tires for the 40000 mile trip. Thanks for any help.
57 REPLIES 57

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

I guess that's great. How may shuttles are running the road? What do they have on them, like a mile when the land?

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
But the factory code is on the tires, no matter who makes them. And B-6 is Michelin's Spartanburg, S.C. plant.
And here are all the D.O.T. tire plant codes. Just look on your tires and check them. All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes NEW TIRE MANUFACTURERS.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

happycamper1949
Explorer
Explorer
The Michelin XZE 275 tires that I am replacing on my 06 Phaeton this summer were made in the united kingdom. It is stamped right on the sidewall.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
Cbones wrote:
Not that it matters to me, but it is stamped right on my Michelins "Made in Spain". I like them anyway much better than the Goodyears. They have a much softer ride. I am assuming that is from the higher load rating, and therefore lower psi needed.
Mine have a code B6 right after the DOT markings I googled Michelin Tires B-6 code and it came right up that the tires I were running were made in PLANT B-6, Spartanburg, S.C.. I talked to a Michelin Rep, on the phone last week and he told me if the U.S. is short on tires (back order) then tires are sent down from Canada and he also mentioned to me that Michelin has a big warehouse in Reno, Nevada to serve the Western U.S.. No Michelin tires are imported into the U.S. according to what the Michelin Rep. told me. I believe this is thru an agreement with labor unions.

Your Michelin rep LIED. It's that simple! We had many at work...from Spain, Indonesia, Thailand, and Brazil. (The Michelin XZE that came off my Genesis was from Thailand.)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

.........but I'm still a 10 yr guy like Michelin as long as the tires can pass inspection and if from a professional, not someone who's trying to sell you new tires........
Just curious, how much does it cost you to break down those 8 tires and inspect them each year?

I don't and don't think that many do either, whether it's prior to one's 5, 6, 7 ,8...etc. year limit that they have somehow magically decided upon. I was speaking of exterior visual inspections.
Having said this, I wonder how many tires of any one brand, have actually blown out that were properly aired up throughout their life, no road hazard and haven't shown any signs of dry cracking.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Like my new Hankooks!!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

.........but I'm still a 10 yr guy like Michelin as long as the tires can pass inspection and if from a professional, not someone who's trying to sell you new tires........
Just curious, how much does it cost you to break down those 8 tires and inspect them each year?
I take my RV to Les Schwab Tires they jack my rig up take all the tires off inspect them, then air them up if needed and put them back on. Les Schwab has never charged me a dime since I've been trading with them since 1984! I don't have my RV tires rotated, but I have the tires on my personal vehicles rotated every 5,000 miles (a Toyota tire rule) and Les Schwab has never charged me a dime for that. If I have a flat tire they never charge me. What they have charged me for in the past is balancing all 8 RV tires $99.00, when I buy new tires of course I'm charged, I have bought batteries, a solid wheel barrow tire, tire chains (I never used my tire chains so when I buy a new vehicle they swap the chains for free). To my knowledge they do this for everybody. When I got back from Lake Havasu City, AZ. my battery on my riding lawnmower was dead. It was a battery I bought from them they put it on a hydrometer said it was good then charged it for me with no charge. It's hard to get an appointment to get in there, but there very honest and they have never tried to sell me anything just to make a sell. But they did tell me last fall before driving to AZ. that this will be my last year running my tires. Les Schwab makes tire maintenance easy for all the customers all they ever requested from me is loyalty.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
Not that it matters to me, but it is stamped right on my Michelins "Made in Spain". I like them anyway much better than the Goodyears. They have a much softer ride. I am assuming that is from the higher load rating, and therefore lower psi needed.
Mine have a code B6 right after the DOT markings I googled Michelin Tires B-6 code and it came right up that the tires I were running were made in PLANT B-6, Spartanburg, S.C.. I talked to a Michelin Rep, on the phone last week and he told me if the U.S. is short on tires (back order) then tires are sent down from Canada and he also mentioned to me that Michelin has a big warehouse in Reno, Nevada to serve the Western U.S.. No Michelin tires are imported into the U.S. according to what the Michelin Rep. told me. I believe this is thru an agreement with labor unions.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The last set of Michelins I had were made in France. I guess they have manufacturing plants all over the world.

They are good tires. I never had a blow out on them, but I do live in the high desert of southern California and six years is the maximum on tires before you start getting sun rot cracks. Michelin will pro rate the tires on tread wear if you get sun rot cracks before the five year warranty. After the five years they will not warranty anything.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

Maybe the reason the "Space Shuttle" is no longer flying. COST TOO MUCH :h
I don't understand the negative Michelin Space Shuttle jab? Anything that went on those shuttles were awarded to the LOWEST bidder! Ask anyone that worked for NASA! Michelin actually took a loss selling to NASA, but gained a lot of experience and knowledge for Michelins Research & Development Department on heavy aircraft tires.

Did not mean for it to be negative. Just ask the question about price. Since they are the highest price RV tire you can purchase, just assumed they were the highest price "Space Shuttle" tire. I guess if all the manufactures that provide parts for the shuttle, lost money on there parts, it may still be flying? HUH
One of the reasons why Michelin Tires are so expensive is because the are American Made! I've had posters on this site say that Michelin tires are not American and that maybe true! I emailed Michelin last week and got a call from a Michelin Rep. from New York the next day. I asked him where my tires were made? He had me go out to my coach and read a code on the outside of the tire and the plant number on the outside of the tire was B6. The Michelin Rep told me that my tires were made at Spartanburg, South Carolina, U.S.A. he also told me once in a while if the factory is back ordered Michelin will have some tires shipped down from Canada to fill the void not China. He also told me that Michelin has a Western Region Warehouse in Reno, Nevada to supply the Western U.S. I asked him if Michelin had a plant in China and he told me yes and that Michelin does not ship any tires from China. Those tires are for Chinese applications mostly bicycle, motorcycle, car tires. The truck tires made in China stay in China. Michelin operates 18 plants in North America, there a 7.25 Billion Dollar a year Company that employs 22,270 people. I hope this clears the air where Michelin Tires are made and why they cost more.

If something costs more does that make it better :h
NO Mike, Michelins cost more because there made in the USA, and China floods the U.S. Tire market buy selling there product cheaper! Another, good example of that is WalMart it should be called China Mart USA! China is flooding the USA with there products to eventually take over the World Currency, I don't support that effort if you want to it's your business. But, I've run Michelins all my driving career OTR (44 years) and on my personal vehicles including my RV with no tire failure! IMHO there the best quality tire out there! Why do you think used Michelin tire casing are so well sought after for recapping, Quality! The trucking Co. I worked for were running Michelin recaps as a cost cutting measure (they were cheaper than Chinese at that time and our tire shop could get 3 recaps out of 1 Michelin casing, and no other tire on the market had a casing that would do that. I want to pay more for what I believe is a better tire, you or anyone else don't have too! And, I never told anyone one time on RV.Net that they have to buy Michelins, and I own a Winnebago top of the line gasser, best gas coach made IMHO, and I've never told anyone on RV.Net to buy a Winnebago because I own one what a disservice that would be. I just share my successful experience with products that I believe in with all my heart! I'll take this a step further and say most Chinese RV tire buyers are the forceful tire pushers on RV.Net. I just go with what works for me and I like success!

happycamper1949
Explorer
Explorer
We have run michelin ZXE's for 7 years without a problem. We are replacing all 6 of them with ZXE2's next month because of sidewall cracking.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
new class a wrote:
Tire replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

I'm told its time to replace the tires on my 2007 38 ft Fleetwood Expedition even though there is only 18000 miles on the Goodyear G670 RV 225/70R22.5 on the rig. I have several questions I am considering changing to Michelin Tires since the out the door price for all 6 is $1000 cheaper than the Goodyear along with the fact a few of my friends say the ride on the Michelins is much smoother. Is the Michelin tire as reliable as the goodyear and will it work on my rig.I have read a couple of other forums where there was concern for the early year Michelins but found nothing very current. I am going to be heading to Yellowstone in June and do not want to take a chance on the old tires for the 40000 mile trip. Thanks for any help.

You didn't give the tire DOT manufacture date, but I'm still a 10 yr guy like Michelin as long as the tires can pass inspection and if from a professional, not someone who's trying to sell you new tires. However, to each his own on that theory and if you are changing them, then I would recommend that you stay away from GY, as they wear quick if you put any miles on them at all and they are also susceptible to rivering. In fact mine were even cupped. I just put 4 Hercules on for the duallies and this summer should tell the story on these Chinese cheapo's with the trip we have planned. Just can't believe that there can be that much difference in tires if they have to meet DOT standards and feel that in many cases, you're paying for just a name.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)