cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

V10 temp guage

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
97 Ford v10 had a p0118 error code, bad coolant temp sensor, replaced. Still get code. Now the Cold Hot gauge doesn't work, stays below the C. My scan gauge is showing a constant temp of 40* after engine is warm. There is an idiot temp light on the dash. If one doesn't work does the red dash light still operate if an overheat condition exists? The light does come on, as do all of the other lights when you turn the ignition on, then goes out as it should. Can live without the gauge for now, just need to know if the light works off of a different circuit.
9 REPLIES 9

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
The sensor in question is located right behind the thermostat on some type of crossover that carries collant to both cylinder banks. I'll see if I can find a new wire harness for the sensor. BUT my real question is about the red high temp light and it's operation in conjunction with the temp gauge. Thanks!

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
po118 is for the cylinder head temperature sensor located under the intake plenum on the intake side of drivers cylinder head most times the connector brakes scan gauge will read -40 if you go on a site called identifix maybe you can get a free trial and it will tell you what to look for

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
It's best to use an OEM coolant temp sensor. Pull off the positive chassis battery cable for +-5 minutes then reinstall it. That should clear the fault code. If it comes back, you probably still have a bad/wrong sensor or a wiring issue.

You probably have a V-8 if you have a 1997. If you told the parts guy you have a V-10 instead of a V-8 that might explain it.

Chum lee

not;; E350 chassis were V10 F53 class A were V8

OP has a C class E350 style

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There is likely more than 1 sensor.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
It's best to use an OEM coolant temp sensor. Pull off the positive chassis battery cable for +-5 minutes then reinstall it. That should clear the fault code. If it comes back, you probably still have a bad/wrong sensor or a wiring issue.

You probably have a V-8 if you have a 1997. If you told the parts guy you have a V-10 instead of a V-8 that might explain it.

Chum lee

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Parts store may have given you the wrong temp sensor. Don't know how many a Ford has or if they changed the design through the years.

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Check wiring to sensor good, could be shorting out on something

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Scan gauge will clear the code, but it keeps coming back. Just want to know if there is a major problem, the red temp light will still come on even if the gauge needle doesn't rise.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
did you clear the code. Did not know that 97 had v10 in them. Do not know about the light since I have a 99 and I know it has a different system.