cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Intrusion repair question

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
My upper right rear corner has sprung a leak. We caught it before any significant damage occurred. I have a beautiful, 4 color, full body paint job and I do not want to scratch, damage or dull this very expensive paint. My question is this;

I need to remove the outer corner edging that runs from the bottom of the coach to the top roof line then clean the old sealant and apply new sealant and reinstall the outer corner trimmer. What product should I use to remove the old sealant and thoroughly clean the outer surface before applying the new sealant and trim piece?

Thank you
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd
17 REPLIES 17

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Often the sealant will come off in chunks if you can pull on it. Then use a nylon/plastic scraper to get rid of the leftover chunks. Use mineral spirits to get rid of residue and then wash with soap and rinse. Test the mineral spirits first to make sure it won't remove the paint. Sometimes if you leave it on too long it will eat the paint.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
I've always used mineral spirits and a rag to remove the surface stuff, a nylon tool like a calk remover from Lowes or home depot to get the larger chunks. Use caution when scraping with the nylon tool to not damage your paint. I'm sure others will chime in with their own methods.

Dave

Thank you Dave!
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used mineral spirits and a rag to remove the surface stuff, a nylon tool like a calk remover from Lowes or home depot to get the larger chunks. Use caution when scraping with the nylon tool to not damage your paint. I'm sure others will chime in with their own methods.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272