cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

your opinion on appliance age

milkman41
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a class A and I've been researching both new and used. Wife has opinion that appliance on pre 2010 coach would be asking for a problem. Those of you that may have experience in the field may be able to shed light on the subject. I would appreciate your reply.
30 REPLIES 30

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 12 yrs old and all appliances are original and work fine. Sounds like your wife would like a newer unit.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years old. New water pump, new water heater, new Amish cooling unit for Norcold 1200, new Samsung flat screen and Trav'ler Dish HD receiver. Eternabond all roof seams.

Yes, there are some upgrades, but about $4,400 bought all the above. I think that is quite reasonable.

I would buy a used 2007 (good year for engines) and use the savings to make similar upgrades. That coach could last 15 years with regular maintenance.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
10 years and looking forward to another 10+. Norcold problems and currently a fan motor in one of the AC. Might want to stay above 2006 so TV are digital, but not that expensive to change.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Just sold 1994 my pace arrow a few months ago and was all original and all worked fine. I just purchased a 16 year old coach and the appliances are the last thing I'm worried about.

My appliances are 14 years old now...and still work fine and never had problems.....Dometic
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
As you see appliances work long times. Most of them are minor expense items, compared to motor or transmission problems. A refrigerator is probably the most expensive and if they are not used off level they last a long tome also.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
In all fairness to the OP's wife, what she probably was reefing to are the problems that some RVers had with Norcold refrigerators. That has been a problem for a small group, but the percentages are very small comparing to how many have been sold. Knock on wood mine is going on eleven years and still working good.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Her worries about the appliances are unfounded. I have a 2004 and all is working well. I have seen a lot of coaches 10 years or older that have the original appliances that are working just fine.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Your wife's concerns are not based in fact.

You could tell her however that, a 2015 xyz brand with a complete Snap On tool set will improve the chances for reliable appliances. ๐Ÿ˜„
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1986 and everything works as good as new.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold 1994 my pace arrow a few months ago and was all original and all worked fine. I just purchased a 16 year old coach and the appliances are the last thing I'm worried about.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little 1989 TT and all the appliances still work except the frig which went out about 2 years ago.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
It would depend on the previous owners maintenance and treatment of the appliances. The water heater would be a concern since people tend not to worry too much about maintaining that the way it should be.

Other than that, it's a ****shoot like someone else already said.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
My coach was manufactured in 2002, we bought it new and all appliances are still working good.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
1993 and all original. Knock on wood. Who knows?
It's a******shoot!
Brian