cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oven Fried Chicken; how to?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I want to try some oven fried chicken in our Le Creuset. I've never done it so would appreciate any tips.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
20 REPLIES 20

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Back in the late 70's a company came out with "Shake and bake" chicken coating. Is that what you are looking for?

Shake and Bake

I tried the new Shake 'n Bake where you first coat the chicken in your favorite BBQ sauce and then roll the chicken in their crumbs...honestly, it was really good! :B

dfwscotty
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it easy. Go find your favorite crackers. Mine are the cheese nips duos. Dump some in a ziploc baggie and smash them almost into a powder. Toss the chicken in the baggie and then in the baking dish till done.

Poodle_Power
Explorer
Explorer
There is a good oven fried chicken recipe on the back of the Bisquick box.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Back in the late 70's a company came out with "Shake and bake" chicken coating. Is that what you are looking for?

Shake and Bake
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
matt7591 wrote:
Classic oven fried chicken:
* Preheat oven to 425.
* While preheating, take a heavy pan (a 9x13 Pyrex is great).
* Add a stick of butter and a bit of oil to mix to the pan.
* Let the pan preheat with the oven.
* Coat pieces of chicken in seasoned flour (ie salted to taste).
(paprika, some poultry seasoning, etc. add a lot here!)
* When the oven is heated, place the chicken pieces in the pan carefully, skin side down.
* Bake 20 minutes.
* Turn over the chicken.
* Bake another 20 min.
* Let rest for about 10 min.
* Eat.

Applied to a dutch oven, I would make the lid be slightly open to prevent steaming it. Most of the remaining steps should be the same. This is a hot oven process, not 350 degrees.

This really sounds delicious. Just be careful with the Pyrex pan. Supposedly they have changed the way they make it, and it can't take high heat anymore. It can explode in the oven.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I've fooled around with various oven recipes myself. The secret is obviously in the right coating and the spice. I can't say I've found the right one yet, but those using mayo and instand mashed potatoes are getting close.
The grill recipe sounds perfect for a Brinkman or maybe a Smoky Mountain. The Brinkman will hold a lower temperature and the rack is about the right height suggested in the recipe.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'm going to give some of them a try.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
Parmesan chicken

This is another good one I've made many many times

2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup ranch dressing, prepared or bottled

Chicken- bone in thighs, chicken legs, quarters

Bisquick, about 3/4 cup
Parmesan cheese, green can, about 1/2 cup
Black pepper
Onion powder 1tsp
Garlic powder 1 tsp
Paprika, 1 tsp
Dry ranch dressing powder, 2 tbsp
Shake of dill
Any seasonings you like. I like penzeys shallot pepper blend, and their green goddess base. But use your favorites

Dip chicken in egg mixture and then in bisquick mixture. Bake at 375 on a baking rack over a pan, or on an Evoo brushed baking dish. Turn once half way thru cooking being careful not to dislodge the coating. Again, metal spatula is thinner and sharper than a plastic one. . If you have a convection conventional oven, lower the temp 25 degrees and connect after preheating. Cook til done.

My kids go crazy for this recipe. I sometimes make a big plate when there's a football game on or something.

Adjust all ingredients to the amount of chicken you've bought. And don't forget to spray the wire rack or coat with oil.

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
I have made this a few times and its very good.
Pkg of thin sliced turkey cutlets
Panko
Seasoning of tour choice. I've used Cajun seasoning, and I've used onion, garlic, and ranch powder
Evoo

Take turkey and dip in a dish with panko and seasonings, pressing seasoning on well. No need to dip in anything first
Take a baking dish and spread a thin layer of Evoo on with a brush. You do not need deep oil!

Lay turkey on oiled dish and bake at 375 for about 7-10min on each side. Doesn't take long. Turn with a metal spatula so as not to disrupt the crunchy breeding on the bottom side.

I first had this at a church pot luck and liked it so much I came home with the recipe

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Over the years I've learned a lot of "online" recipes are deeply flawed.

I've had great results with all recipes that I've tried on the Food Network website.. All recipes are created by hosts on the network.

Here's one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/oven-baked-fried-chicken-recipe/index.html
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Classic oven fried chicken:
* Preheat oven to 425.
* While preheating, take a heavy pan (a 9x13 Pyrex is great).
* Add a stick of butter and a bit of oil to mix to the pan.
* Let the pan preheat with the oven.
* Coat pieces of chicken in seasoned flour (ie salted to taste).
(paprika, some poultry seasoning, etc. add a lot here!)
* When the oven is heated, place the chicken pieces in the pan carefully, skin side down.
* Bake 20 minutes.
* Turn over the chicken.
* Bake another 20 min.
* Let rest for about 10 min.
* Eat.

Applied to a dutch oven, I would make the lid be slightly open to prevent steaming it. Most of the remaining steps should be the same. This is a hot oven process, not 350 degrees.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Another thing to try is dipping the clean chicken in egg mixture, then coat with BBQ potato chips.

Bake at 325 - 350 until done.

Fred.

Hi Golden,
Not exactly. There is a way to "fry" chicken in oil in a heavy pot in the oven. I've got a basic idea of how to do it but was looking for a few tips and insight from folks who do it regularly.

I remember the old Shake and Bake from my High School days (about 35 years ago) and that is basically a baked method and not actually frying. The dipping method you mentioned has me interested though.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Another thing to try is dipping the clean chicken in egg mixture, then coat with BBQ potato chips.

Bake at 325 - 350 until done.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
Years ago, when we had kids at home, they loved this: Melt 1 stick butter and dip chicken pieces in it. Coat with finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs and lay on a foil covered baking sheet. Bake 325 for 1 hour (about). The smaller pieces get crispy.

Nice idea. You too WoodGlue.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000