cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help? My charger killed two laptops!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
This is the laptop charger. I have two laptops that use the same charger.

I watched a movie on one laptop on battery, then plugged it in and went to sleep. Got up in the morning and the laptop wouldn't boot. It never ocurred to me that the charger was the problem -- the laptop is old and has been dropped a few times :). I pulled out the backup laptop, used it, set it on the charger and went out for the day. Returned home, and second laptop is dead.

Pulled out my spare charger. The backup laptop will run on the spare charger, but its battery will not charge. The primary computer still will not boot.

Do you folks have any idea what is going on here? Is there anything I can do to fix the battery on the backup computer, or do I just need to order a new one?

Any ideas about how I might be able to save the primary computer, the one that won't boot at all? Its running lights come on but the screen does not, and I do not hear the hard drive spin up. The screen and the wiring that goes to it are relatively new, replaced 6 months ago, so I doubt that is the problem.

(The backup computer frankly sucks. It is terribly underpowered and not upgradeable. Not a daily driver.)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
17 REPLIES 17

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Try booting the laptop, plugged in, with the battery removed.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the output of the charger? It could be coincidence that they both stopped at relatively the same time.
Does the first computer show a boot screen or is it always blank? If black it could be the motherboard. If there is any indication of life it could be a bad HDD. In that case you could try to boot with a Linux live cd. The tough part is getting one if you dont have a third computer.
As far as the battery, new is the way to go. Laptop batteries can be found on the online shopping sites or at Batteries Plus.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Laptop model numbers would help as well as the model numbers of the chargers. Are they both 18 volts DC?
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club